Help with ID from an old collection

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivarat

Brad Grant
Reaction score
I have just bought an old collection from a friends father, sight unseen, not alot of money so I thought it was worth the risk.
He was into tumbling in the 1960's and I believe was a member of the Wangaratta lapidary club, but it all got packed up and not looked at since he moved in the early 1970's. All this time it has just sat in drums at the back of his shed.
Just the first bag of pieces I'll be getting more on Tuesday. They are a bit rust stained and I haven't taken photos of the many agates, jaspers or pet wood rough. Most of these are not local to me so I don't know much about them. But as I intend cutting them I would like to know what type of some and location if someone knows/reccognises any.
Row 2 2nd photo opalite
Row3 2nd photo chrsyoprase on the right green jasper? on the left
Row 4 far right very glass like obsidian I think and banded iron next to it.

1468577065_my_collage.jpg

Picked up the rest of the collection yesterday
1469011052_20120118_090148.jpg

1469011052_20120118_090213.jpg

There is
snow flake obsidian
tiger eye
about a 5 kg of quartz crystals smokey & clear looks to be mostly from Beechworth area
a couple of topaz ( I think)
a couple of kgs of dendritic opalite
chrysoprase a few small slabs but nice translucent apple green.
a fair bit of ribbonstone
petrified wood
few kgs of jasper all colours including some mookaite
small slab of bloodstone
about 20 kgs of local agates and a few that I would have to say from agate creek judging by the colours
Turquoise from Edi area very thin veins on the host stone
looks to be some rhodonite
a old coffee jar half full of potch, a couple of better bits in there. a couple of pieces of andamooka matrix.
as you can see a lot is very rust stained, but I'm having fun cleaning them as I go.

nice mate.. he may have the gear to cut and polish them as well??? he may sell it to you as well... :/

The lumpy bumpy off white one next to the bucket is a nice double sided quartz cluster in need of a clean.
A couple of months ago I got his old robilt tumbler and a 1/3 hp motor and he threw in an old robilt single ended grinder. I need a slab saw now (when my wife lets me)
1469085652_aa.jpg

1469085652_bb.jpg

Gee! I must admit I would of been pretty stoked if I seen those pieces just keep on coming out of the bags or buckets.. Very Nice ;)

Latest posts