Help identifying this old cricket medal

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The other day I went out detecting in a spot not to far from Maitland. I was looking for old coins from the days when the area was being settled, I hadn't found much except for a 20 cent piece so I turned for the car and about 2 meters from the car a got a weird signal, upon digging it I could see the glimmer of gold and started to get excited! But I was amazed at what it actually was. The cricket badge is in great condition and has an inscription on the back, it reads " BOURKE MEDAL - won by C.JOHNSTON highest score 115 runs not out. HOLMWOOD C.C (cricket club). After I cleaned it up I was impressed with how good the details are still. unfortunately it doesn't have a date on it anywhere. It does have a 9ct stamp. So the quest began to find its owner, I have searched far and wide for a HOLMWOOD cricket club and I'm not having any luck, there is a Holmwood near cowra, but no luck there, also there is a Holmwood in W.A and in England but I'm still stumped. ( No punn intended. hehe) The C.Johnston is a clue, there was a famous Col Johnston who played for maitland but I spoke to his wife and she has not recollection of a BOURKE medal. So after ringing countless cricket associations and speaking to lots of local historians, I'm still at a lost as to any info on this great medal. So I put it out there to the good people of this forum, can anyone help shed some light on this mystery. To date it's my best find and I really enjoy having it but id like to find out its story.
1375187127_image.jpg

1375187151_image.jpg

well you know its definately not the english one (kangaroo and emu) lol and if its made of gold it had to have been a pretty prestigious award you would expect.

Hey gtsjeff

That's what is was thinking, but a friend said to me that it might have been a team visiting from Holmwood in the uk who played a match against an Australian team. One of their players could have won the medal, but that is certainly a long shot. Its a really well made medal and your right being gold it should signify its importance. The quest continues.

Hey DrDuck

Thanks heaps for the info, that's awesome. It certainly looks like your on to something. It does mention a gentleman by the last name of bourke donating a gold medal. Great lead, I'll keep reading through the rest of the papers to find the name on the medal. Thanks once again, the quest has just picked up some pace!!!!

Cheers

Jae :)

Gold, plus historical interest! Better than a nugget or flakes in a pan I reckon.

Incredible find there mate. Good luck in finding the owner or their descendants (if any).

Thanks everyone, yeah it certainly gave me a surprise when I seen that gold glimmer. I have found that cowra have a cricket club and Holmwood is a little place not to far from there. So I'll call them and see if they have a historical side and whether there is any johnstons in the white pages still in Holmwood. Hopefully I'm getting closer to finding the descendants. It would be great to find a photo of the gentleman who won it.
I'll keep everyone posted.

Cheers Jae :)

Latest posts