First Dig Of 2023....

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Due to a bad dose of flu followed by a lingering chest infection, yesterday was the first time I managed to get out detecting this year.

It was with a local FB detecting group and a real red letter outing with a range of finds from Roman (lots of Roman) through medieval to Tudor hammereds.

Compared to some of the others on the dig, my finds were quite mediocre, but I am thrilled with them.

The tiny Roman fibula broach is in lovely condition and at the rear, includes half its securing pin that actually still moves/functions. It was one of several Roman fibula that came up including a rather beautiful silver gilt one and a couple of enameled types.

The spindle whorls were next, and I suspect the flat one in the picture might be Roman as well. The other spindle whorl is later, probably late Medieval but the pattern is in excellent condition on both sides, and by far the best example I have found to date.

So all in all an excellent day and a good start to the year!

IMG_20230205_125037_551~2.jpg

Last edited:
Due to a bad dose of flu followed by a lingering chest infection, yesterday was the first time I managed to get out detecting this year.

It was with a local FB detecting group and a real red letter outing with a range of finds from Roman (lots of Roman) through medieval to Tudor hammereds.

Compared to some of the others on the dig, my finds were quite mediocre, but I am thrilled with them.

The tiny Roman fibula broach is in lovely condition and at the rear, includes half its securing pin that actually still moves/functions. It was one of several Roman fibula that came up including a rather beautiful silver gilt one and a couple of enameled types.

The spindle whorls were next, and I suspect the flat one in the picture might be Roman as well. The other spindle whorl is later, probably late Medieval but the pattern is in excellent condition on both sides, and by far the best example I have found to date.

So all in all an excellent day and a good start to the year!

View attachment 7680
Uk then?
Nothing that old here. Best I got was a French seal that I had dated to the early 1700's here in Oz on our Vic goldfields.
How it got here nobody knows. Probably came here for some reason or another from a guy in our goldrush days. Why is a mystery as it is said to have no worth here! But I was wrapt to find it regardless. Its tiny, the size around of a little threepence.
A bird cage image on it!

Last edited:
Yes, I am in the UK, North Wales to be precise...

Age of Finds is all relative...if I am correct, the use of metal was something the Europeans introduced, so unfortunately that generally benchmarks the oldest likely Finds ..

Would be interpreted to see a pic of your seal...Have never found one myself, but they are on my wishlist....

Latest posts