Help choosing second had detector - and other gear needed

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
as stated in my intro I seem to have gold fever again and want to give it a good shot this time.
Obviously as most people are I am on a pretty tight budget and have been out of the detecting scene for a very long time. I'm looking around and am getting pretty confused with all the different types of detectors.

I have looked at the MINELAB F1A4 GOLD LEVEL TWO and spoken with the seller and he swears by it. I have no affiliation with this company.
The price of this is way over my budget, Heck everything is probably over my budget at this stage, but I have to get out there and search for gold.

I noticed a member is selling a Minelab Eureka gold for a decent price. But that is the other side of the country from me.

So what say you all? Recommendations of up to possibly $1500.

Also as I will be going solo what will be the best tool/s to carry and use. Obviously light is the go but what do you all recommend?

I'd be looking at the sd 2000 2100 2200 series around that price range
I have an eureka gold and if I had. MY time again I would of bought one of the sd series

Hi there I have also been looking at the SD range also, have been looking at 2200 model. What is the price range? Most of my efforts will be in the triangle area. Also looked at the Fisher bug 2 but alot of people say it struggle with the highly minerilized.

If you going up to $1500 I'd also have a serious look at the Whites SPP. Check out some of the posts on here.
Also I reckon in the current market I would be aiming for a GP Extreme or GP3000 for $1500 if you are thinking Minelab only. Have even seen GP3500's not sell for $2k so you may even grab one of those which would be my pick for an older Minelab.
Anything before the SD2200D is now considered obsolete/no longer supported by Minelab i.e. SD2000, SD2100 & SD2100e.

Hard Luck said:
Hi everyone,
as stated in my intro I seem to have gold fever again and want to give it a good shot this time.
Obviously as most people are I am on a pretty tight budget and have been out of the detecting scene for a very long time. I'm looking around and am getting pretty confused with all the different types of detectors.

I have looked at the MINELAB F1A4 GOLD LEVEL TWO and spoken with the seller and he swears by it. I have no affiliation with this company.
The price of this is way over my budget, Heck everything is probably over my budget at this stage, but I have to get out there and search for gold.

I noticed a member is selling a Minelab Eureka gold for a decent price. But that is the other side of the country from me.

Also as I will be going solo what will be the best tool/s to carry and use. Obviously light is the go but what do you all recommend?

Well If you want a new Machine, You can get the Whites SPP PI machine for around 1500 bucks with 24 months Guarantee and A lot of the guys here have them, Check out Gold Search Australia (VIC) and they should be able to fix you Up, with either New or Used,

Good Luck,, John

Ridge Runner said:
Hard Luck said:
Hi everyone,

Well If you want a new Machine, You can get the Whites SPP PI machine for around 1500 bucks with 24 months Guarantee and A lot of the guys here have them, Check out Gold Search Australia (VIC) and they should be able to fix you Up, with either New or Used,

Good Luck,, John

Thanks Ridge Runner. I had a good read of that long thread of the Whites SPP. The only thing that concerns me is what seems to be the shortish battery life. Apart from that I really like them. And i wont be going out for days at a time probably more like a few hours here and there.

If you look at all options you may pick up a gp extreme with a bit of luck if not go for a 2200d if you pick up either of theses detectors they are both a good entry level detector regards john :)

If the MINELAB F1A4 GOLD LEVEL TWO is from Mick in Melbourne, he knows his stuff. For a $1,500 spend, I would not be too hasty though. I would certainly shop around a bit more. As pointed out above by others, I would still err on the side of a ML SD series, possibly a 2200D with coils. If you can find one and willing to spend a little bit more - a GP 3500 ML is also an excellent detector (if you can find one!!!).

As for tools, there are plenty of posts about on the forum on gear but IMO do not penny-pinch on your pick or your boots (non steel cap - Redbacks are good). If alone in the central Vic goldfields, you are never really too far from civilization and although I carry a GPS, I just usually use maps and a compass. When you detect long enough, you will understand the need for a compass. The rest is common sense - water, insect cream etc etc.

Hard Luck said:
Ridge Runner said:
Hard Luck said:
Hi everyone,

Good Luck,, John

Thanks Ridge Runner. I had a good read of that long thread of the Whites SPP. The only thing that concerns me is what seems to be the shortish battery life. Apart from that I really like them. And i wont be going out for days at a time probably more like a few hours here and there.

G'day Mate, Well if your only going out for a few hours then the SPP is the one to get Because I did a lot of testing on Batteries and if you put 2650 or 2700 NiMh rechargables in the Dry Cell Pack it will run for 6 hours 37 Minutes and if you get the 2900s from PT you should get around 7 and a half hours which is more than enough time without a break, I personally have smoko after about 4 or 5 hours, which in the Aussie Sun at around mid day would be a good time to refuel ya self and the detector 2 of them dry cell packs will you about 15 hours and then you have the factory pack that runs for 4 hours 20 minutes as A Back up,

Hope this helps. john

Ridge Runner said:
Hard Luck said:
Ridge Runner said:
Hard Luck said:
Hi everyone,

Good Luck,, John

G'day Mate, Well if your only going out for a few hours then the SPP is the one to get Because I did a lot of testing on Batteries and if you put 2650 or 2700 NiMh rechargables in the Dry Cell Pack it will run for 6 hours 37 Minutes and if you get the 2900s from PT you should get around 7 and a half hours which is more than enough time without a break, I personally have smoko after about 4 or 5 hours, which in the Aussie Sun at around mid day would be a good time to refuel ya self and the detector 2 of them dry cell packs will you about 15 hours and then you have the factory pack that runs for 4 hours 20 minutes as A Back up,

Hope this helps. john

Helps very much. Thanks Ridge Runner. I am starting to lean towards this machine more and more. Brand new, good warranty, good reports. There are a few sd ML machines out there at the moment second hand but are quite expensive.
Plan is to drop of the kids to school then head out to the triangle a couple of days a week, like all of us there are a few spots I am keen on. I know it is a lotto but I have the fever again and this time I'm going with my gut feeling. Too many times I've tried to convince people to have a try and none have been keen.
Tried to convince a mate to join me, he won't have a bar of it.

Hard Luck said:
Ridge Runner said:
Hard Luck said:
Ridge Runner said:
Hard Luck said:
Hi everyone,

Good Luck,, John

Hope this helps. john

Helps very much. Thanks Ridge Runner. I am starting to lean towards this machine more and more. Brand new, good warranty, good reports. There are a few sd ML machines out there at the moment second hand but are quite expensive.
Plan is to drop of the kids to school then head out to the triangle a couple of days a week, like all of us there are a few spots I am keen on. I know it is a lotto but I have the fever again and this time I'm going with my gut feeling. Too many times I've tried to convince people to have a try and none have been keen.
Tried to convince a mate to join me, he won't have a bar of it.

Well when you bring home the Gold maybe they will jump on Board, Actually it's not such a bad thing them not going for Now, Because that will give you a bit of time to Learn the Machine and as soon as you start finding the Gold they will come to you for help, So That's A good Thing, Aye.

I was 5 minutes late back with the Truck One Day when the Mrs had to pick up the Boy and She went Ape :eek: Didn't know the Girl Knew Such words, lol.

John

Every one, thanks for the suggestions and advice.
I today picked up a Sierra Pulse Pro from the GoldSearch Australia store. They threw in the small extra coil and cover for the larger coil as well. Great service and advice*. *No affiliation.
Was it a hasty decision? Yes. But for me it had to be now or the finances may have not been around a week later. I've even gone over my budget.
I would have loved to have the time for the right ML to come along but due to current circumstances I can not wait as mentioned above.

All I can say is that I hope that I have made the right decision. My right arm is not the best and the weight of this model is pretty good. A ML may even have been a bit too heavy for me for extended use. I'll see what build quality is like when I start giving it a thrashing.

Took it down to Werribee beach for about an hour to have a bit of a play. Dug up the usual assortment of bottle caps, a reel handle and a matchbox car..lol

Here is the assortment of junk. That big piece of wood with that bit of metal on it was going of big time. Reckon I dug down about 12 inches for it.

IMG_0218%2B%28Medium%29.JPG

Well you have made your choice, hope it does well for you. I know the feeling, one week im looking for a caravan, the next week im paying for wife to have her wisdom teeth removed......there goes my caravan!

Twapster said:
Well you have made your choice, hope it does well for you. I know the feeling, one week im looking for a caravan, the next week im paying for wife to have her wisdom teeth removed......there goes my caravan!

Well said Twapster. Even though I'm no spring chicken any more life is still teaching me lessons. For some people they go with their gut feeling, for others they analyse every move they make.

I was an analyser for may years but no more now. Going with my gut feelings from here on now.

loamer said:
If the MINELAB F1A4 GOLD LEVEL TWO is from Mick in Melbourne, he knows his stuff. For a $1,500 spend, I would not be too hasty though. I would certainly shop around a bit more. As pointed out above by others, I would still err on the side of a ML SD series, possibly a 2200D with coils. If you can find one and willing to spend a little bit more - a GP 3500 ML is also an excellent detector (if you can find one!!!).

As for tools, there are plenty of posts about on the forum on gear but IMO do not penny-pinch on your pick or your boots (non steel cap - Redbacks are good). If alone in the central Vic goldfields, you are never really too far from civilization and although I carry a GPS, I just usually use maps and a compass. When you detect long enough, you will understand the need for a compass. The rest is common sense - water, insect cream etc etc.

Thanks loamer,
I was just having another re read and realised the significance of the steel cap boots...lol that could get messy.

buy my gold bug pro for cleaning out junks? and some times gold.. if your in the gold rich area?

Good move Hard Luck. Bigger is not always better and it's good to buy new.

We were about 20km down the Tanami Track when we decided we needed a detector. I climbed a mullock heap and called Ray in Karratha and ordered the SDC2300 but he came back to me and said it was not going to be released for at least a week. My next call from the same spot was to The Prospectors Patch in Perth where I bought the Garrett ATX with freight to Broome. If I make up my mind to buy something I need it NOW. If you drag it out the money has gone or the wife gets cold feet.

We have both the SDC and the ATX now but we still left the WA goldfields with no gold. We went back to a spot where we found gold last year with the ATX and the White's GMT. We never found anything small so I was sure if we went back with the new SDC we'd come away with all we missed last time. Well perhaps we did :eek:

I love the White's. I don't mind borrowing it now that she has the new one :) I don't want to use the SDC in case I'm the first to find a bit of gold with it. Over the last few days we've been in really dirty ground seeking coins or other treasure. I know I'd be wasting my time even turning the ATX on because it senses a heavy piece of steel from a metre away and amongst the junk it would be going crazy 500mm above the ground. The little White's with the 6x4 coil can be weaved between visible chunks of steel to seek out the hidden treasures. And then it speaks in a to me in a variety of tones that along with the LED readout gives me quite a good idea of what might be there before I dig.

I did sneak out with her new Sun Ray earphones connected to the White's but she was too busy looking for bottles to notice ;)