Hello prospectors!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is James, born and bred in and around the Cairns area. Presently working as Mate on Spirit of freedom, one of the many live a board dive boats running out of Cairns.
The work I do is week on week off so I have been getting back into multiday hikes around the area including the goldfield track between Babinda and Goldsborough, Davies creek area and so on.
Seeing all these creeks and rivers from the comfort of my hammock made me wonder of the shiny things hiding in their sandy bottoms, so out I went and bought a pan! so tempting it is to go straight out and buy a detector but I feel if I can turn a small investment into enough to buy a detector then it would be justified.

I am really looking forward to chatting with you all on these forums and learning what I can about panning and areas worthy of it, and someday doing the same for others. If there are other prospectors in the Cairns or tablelands region who would like to meet up and potentially go for a hike for gold that would be unreal!

Until then.

James

Welcome to the forum and the action mate :D plenty of help and information waiting for you on the pages to get a great start into the game. I'm sure those who know the north a bit better will have some info for you :) If your close to areas like Atherton, Brunket, Hereberton or Agate Creek, some gemstones are available if that's any interest

Cheers Jaros and AtomRat,
Yes I'm in Cairns so a short drive from those areas. I have a mate who is into gemstones who would be fun to go on a hike with. I'll be sure to ask about those areas you mentioned.
Cheers

G'day thehikingpanner ....

Spirit of Freedom eh - been a while since I've seen or spoke to her - I worked at MSQ in Gladstone for 15 years .....

Welcome to PA, hope you enjoy the trip!

cheers guys!

well i'll be damned Rotor, yes Spirit started her life down there didn't she. small world!!

I used to work as a Rigger for Walz Construction down Gladstone way also. and a cook at the hotel on main street. I really liked Gladstone beautiful area.

G'day Hikingpanner
Welcome to the forum

Done a bit of walking around the hills myself
I live to the south of Cairns and know the area that you go hiking in quite well

Also there is a group of us in Cairns that catch up and talk gold and we are meeting on the 2nd of April at the NQ miners den about 930
There is a few of us old and new to the group that are planning to be there so if you are not working and you can make, that will be good

Cheers Greg :cool:

Good on you Greg. Would be great to catch you guys there. It is my mother's birthday that day so i may make it for a brief visit to meet you all and than scoot down to mission beach.
Would enjoy going for hikes with you lot exploring this area.

Welcome mate. Ive been checking that stretch of creek/trail out for the past 3 weeks on google maps theres a few good spots by the looks. Would love to pan some parts of it sometime but need to pop into the miners den and purchase some equipment.

Latest posts