Hello from Orbost in Far East Gippsland - Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erg

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I'm changing hobbies from Astronomy to Metal detecting.

Ive only ever used one once before and it was surprisingly fun. It was an old school unit very similar to a "Bounty Hunter - Red Baron" but it was blue.

Tried it in the backyard a few years ago and found a massive horseshoe, old push bike parts and lots of iron scrap, nails and bottle tops, it was great fun.

Im thinking of purchasing the following from the Garrett Australia online store:

The AT Gold with the bonus pack.
Pro pointer
Universal detector case
Treasure digger kit
Plastic sand scoop
I also want the wooden handled retriever tool that I saw in a Garrett video but cant find it on there Aust website.

Does that seem like a good start?

Thx

Erg

Yes this a little more "down to earth" :p than Astronomy Erg. Welcome. If possible why not try before you buy. Hire one or a few separately and see what you feel is best for you. Financially etc. You have some nice high country nearby -Walhalla etc. good old mining area and close to the beach as well. You will have a ball mate.
Cheers :p

Thx for the Welcome Jaros. :lol:

Much more down to earth, brighter and far less cold.

Hey, is that a 6inch Skywatcher or perhaps Meade reflector I see in the background of your avatar?

Im selling my Celestron 8SE to fund the AT Gold. Keeping a baby 80mm Skywatcher and PST solar scope.

Ive heard there was Gold around this way back in the day. I have a few workmates with properties with river frontage in areas that used to have Gold, maybe there is still a tiny bit left? Who knows.

I look after the IT at the local High School which had its Centenary in 2012. Hopefully some old coins and other interesting stuff has been dropped on the grass over the last 102 years. 15 mins to the beach and 3 minutes to the Snowy River should give me a few places to explore.

Erg

I's a 127 Star Tracker. i forgot in was in the background. I have a had a bit of a look about. It is great in the bush-i live right near the city in Brizzie and it's pretty useless here apart from looking in apartment windows heh!!
There is only one way to find out about those frontages--isn't there!!!!
Jack

Hi Erg,
Welcome to PA.
Hope you're not giving up on the stars totally!

Orbost, now there is a pretty place. I did some work on the Patricia Baleen gas plant, some years ago. Had to slum it in the Marlo Pub....brings back fond memories eating beer battered flathead and watching the snowy river run out into the lagoon......... oops sorry.... daydreaming.

Hope you find lots of colour

TT

Thx TTKooAu

The view from Marlo pub is fantastic. I like watching storms rolls in from Bass Straight. Amazing location to chill and get a feel for the power of nature, whatever the weather.

Im told by old school locals there may be some old dwellings worth detecting out towards the gas plant.

If 150+ youtube videos have taught me anything its "Research".

I still enjoy Astronomy but Patricia Baleens light pollution doesnt help :/ Still, the skies are orders of magnitude better than a metro location. Sure cant complain.

AT Gold and associated kit arrived today. Reading the manual tonight. Ill fire it up on the weekend once ive mowed the backyard to within an inch of its life. Its full of lumps and bumps. Every time a plant something I dig a few old brown beer bottles.

Id be over the Moon if I found a Penny.

Erg

Orbost is only just down the road from me. LOL
You have a heck of a lot of ground to cover there mate.
Find your relics with your detector and enjoy it. :D
Not to far away are alluivial gold deposits.
The road from Orbost to Delegate is well worth a research. 8)
Just watch the "National Sparks and Wildfires" side of it. :cool:

Tathradj said:
Orbost is only just down the road from me. LOL
You have a heck of a lot of ground to cover there mate.
Find your relics with your detector and enjoy it. :D
Not to far away are alluivial gold deposits.
The road from Orbost to Delegate is well worth a research. 8)
Just watch the "National Sparks and Wildfires" side of it. :cool:

What sort of mineral are you interested in? I haven't ventured up to tathra. What does there area have to offer?

Thanks Krista

Latest posts