Hello from Lilydale

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aussie280 said:
Sounds good. Im flipping back and forth with building a kit PI and buying the Aldi unit. I need to figure out if I like the activity first as building a kit will take time. It will also still cost around $300 to do it properly although the result will rival $1000+ machines. Or do I just get a pan and do what you are doing first? Lots to think about. I'm jumping around like a pork sausage in the frying pan. :|

Tough choice. I was doing the same thing, flipping back and forth that is, but finally settled on the panning/sluicing as I'm also interested in the gems side of it so probably have a better chance of finding a gem or two along the way if processing more material by waterways rather than walking around the bush digging the occasional small hole. That's my thinking anyway. I also like the fact that panning/sluicing relies more on knowledge, knowing where to find the gold, as compared to detecting, which probably relies on technology a little more. I mean, you still need to know where to go, but then it's just who's got the best machine or luck. With panning/sluicing/highbanking you take test pans, look for the richest spot, search for crevices etc...its less about luck or tech imo. Yeah, you're not going to get the nuggets (you might get some, just not very often) but gold is gold is gold to me.

Banana bread said:
G'day Kev,

I'm also new to this forum but if you need some maps try Geovic or search for Goldfield Maps victoria in google.

Enjoy your time on here :)

-Banana Bread (BB) :)

I would second this.

GeoVic is a great resource once you get your head around it.

Banana bread said:
G'day Kev,

I'm also new to this forum but if you need some maps try Geovic or search for Goldfield Maps victoria in google.

Enjoy your time on here :)

-Banana Bread (BB) :)

Hi BB

thanks for the tip....I will give it a go

PotOfGold said:
aussie280 said:
Sounds good. Im flipping back and forth with building a kit PI and buying the Aldi unit. I need to figure out if I like the activity first as building a kit will take time. It will also still cost around $300 to do it properly although the result will rival $1000+ machines. Or do I just get a pan and do what you are doing first? Lots to think about. I'm jumping around like a pork sausage in the frying pan. :|

Tough choice. I was doing the same thing, flipping back and forth that is, but finally settled on the panning/sluicing as I'm also interested in the gems side of it so probably have a better chance of finding a gem or two along the way if processing more material by waterways rather than walking around the bush digging the occasional small hole. That's my thinking anyway. I also like the fact that panning/sluicing relies more on knowledge, knowing where to find the gold, as compared to detecting, which probably relies on technology a little more. I mean, you still need to know where to go, but then it's just who's got the best machine or luck. With panning/sluicing/highbanking you take test pans, look for the richest spot, search for crevices etc...its less about luck or tech imo. Yeah, you're not going to get the nuggets (you might get some, just not very often) but gold is gold is gold to me.

Agreed....I think MD's will mostly get you lost rings and coins. A bit of fun but probably not much gold in the raw form. Well either that or the prospectors that find gold via MD's keep it to themselves.. ;)

Leaning towards panning now see if I like it and maybe MD down the track. Basically Miners rights and a pan $60 all up isn't bad to start with. I doubt I will be able to get a pan before the end of the week unless anaconda has one as the miners shop in mitcham is closed until the 5th.

Hi,
Aussie Disposals has a couple of good pan of varying sizes (for $8.00 each) and sieves for classifying out the smaller rocks.
I don't know what others think about the Aussie pans though???
TD

Tricky Dick said:
Hi,
Aussie Disposals has a couple of good pan of varying sizes (for $8.00 each) and sieves for classifying out the smaller rocks.
TD

Thanks Tricky I will head down tomorrow to have a look. At $8.00 Im not too worried.

Tricky Dick said:
Hi,
TD

I would second Aussie Disposals. And the one in Boronia is open tomorrow too.

thats excellent news...guess where I'm going tomorrow. BTW I had an interesting chat with an old guy today who has spent 15 years researching Victorian goldfields specifcally recording all shallow claims dating back to the 1840's. He has kindly given me a copy of his research. This person has a passion for research local Victorian goldrush history.

What a great start to my hobby. Each recorded location is very detailed including local sites Im sure not many know of (doing a quick search on the forum posts these locations have never been discussed).

I'll tell you more about it Matt when I see you. It has detailed info on where you were thinking of going too.

Gotta go slow with the black pans. If it gets you going then go for it but having a good pan will really make a huge difference. Around the $30 mark will see you right, and with both options it will pay for itself. The Black ones are just very hard to trust is all. The sooner you have a good pan and technique the better your prospecting will be. :D

Goldtarget said:
Gotta go slow with the black pans. If it gets you going then go for it but having a good pan will really make a huge difference. Around the $30 mark will see you right, and with both options it will pay for itself. The Black ones are just very hard to trust is all. The sooner you have a good pan and technique the better your prospecting will be. :D

:rolleyes: how is it that YOU can you not trust black pans....... do they repel gold?

casper

I'm not sure what you mean mate? I have one, a black one from aussie disposals, I use it for micro gold under lights after dark but that's about all its good for, that or turn it up side down and use it as a Frisbee lol. Beginner or not you get what you pay for just trying to steer the bloke toward getting a decent one. Your post/comment is a bit hard for me to understand what you meant. In the end we all have a choice I guess.

They make them with two crappy ridges that barely pass as riffles and a flat bottom. Compare that with a garrett and have a pan there's a clear difference. You gotta go real slow and steady to keep every bit in the pan.

Goldtarget said:
I'm not sure what you mean mate? I have one, a black one from aussie disposals, I use it for micro gold under lights after dark but that's about all its good for, that or turn it up side down and use it as a Frisbee lol. Beginner or not you get what you pay for just trying to steer the bloke toward getting a decent one. Your post/comment is a bit hard for me to understand what you meant. In the end we all have a choice I guess.

They make them with two crappy ridges that barely pass as riffles and a flat bottom. Compare that with a garrett and have a pan there's a clear difference. You gotta go real slow and steady to keep every bit in the pan.

Thanks guys for both putting your thoughts forward regarding coloured pans. Personally I would like to use a blue or green pan as read its easier to see the blacksand from the gold? Although tt probably makes little difference. What makes a bigger difference is technique and design of the actual pan - turbo pan etc.

Unless I go out with an expert I'm sure I'll flounder panning for the first few times anyway. I've been told to look for a 12" pan first and see how I go. My problem right now is I'm off work until the 5th but work 6 days a week normally so have limited window to try my luck and the Minersden is closed unitl the 5th so for my first pan if I want to go out now to have a go is going to be whatever I can get a hold of at short notice. :(

PotOfGold said:
Wow. Seems like you came across the perfect person. All that info sounds reaaaally interesting...would love to have a stckybeak

its no tresure map Matt but its a good read and Yes you will be surpised with the extent of the useful detailed information like how deep you need to dig in a certain location to get pay dirt.

Are we allowed to do that? like dig down 2 feet or 4 feet to get to pay dirt?

Wow I didn't know anyone was that against the black pans, esp those from aussie disposals. I too had read that the green makes it easier to distinguish the black sands and the gold, so that's what I'll end up with. But I'm just starting with the the 36 cm aussie disposals pan. I too figured it's probably more about technique than the pan so I'm not going to pay through the nose to begin with. It should be fine to learn on I figured.

Yeah I wouldn't expect a treasure map, but every bit of info help. And 15 years of info is going to be better than my few months worth so yeah, sounds very interesting.

And I recall reading that we can only disturb 1m3 of earth per 48 hours or something like that. So assuming you stay within that limit, and backfill the hole, then yeah I don't see why you couldn't dig down 2 - 4 ft.

Goldtarget said:

That's cool - i was stirring the possum ;) I wasn't sure what you meant until your response which I see is more about poor design of a particular black coloured pan from a popular disposal store. I use an Australian made pan, yup it's black with deep reverse riffles. Some like to see the black sands - no problem! the new pan finish soon wears off and they become readily visible.

cheers ... casper

1420001446_screen_shot_2014-12-31_at_3.33.59_pm.png

casper said:
Goldtarget said:

That's cool - i was stirring the possum ;) I wasn't sure what you meant until your response which I see is more about poor design of a particular black coloured pan from a popular disposal store. I use an Australian made pan, yup it's black with deep reverse riffles. Some like to see the black sands - no problem! the new pan finish soon wears off and they become readily visible.

cheers ... casper

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...1446_screen_shot_2014-12-31_at_3.33.59_pm.png

Hi Casper,

In doing research on pans its suggested when new to wire wool the pan to take the smooth surface away...better to trap the flakes?

Just throw some sand in it and start panning. It will season itself in no time. Garrett pans are the best but you can use any thing that is similar shape to catch gold as long as you know what you are doing.
I live in eastern suburbs of Melbourne so if you get stuck I have some pans you can have for free. Just pm me.

Np mate, no harm no foul. "Seasoning" a pan can include many variants but I like to put mine out in the weather for a few days to a couple weeks washing and filling it with tap water to take the oils out that are left as a residue in the moulding process. Next take some angular rocks (crushed quartz to around 1/4 inch is primo) and wash away using a natural panning action a good few dozen times. Imprinting a pan this way will give better result and performance, it's only advice, and using it regularly this same process will occur more slowly but naturally.

I look at my pans in respect to getting the best out of them and so like to own quality. That's a personal preference but better pan will aid in retention of gold and at the panning stage that's where results matter. My oldest garrett is nearly 4 years old and should last a lifetime. Chances are it will go missing before replacement issues come to the fore. Four years spreads the outlay pretty thin. I've built classifiers, bankers and buy the cheapest tubs I can find to keep the cost down but when it comes to pans I don't even think about it the cost in dollars, only in time and gold retention. If you get some hours in and upgrade you will see the difference over night. Good luck gents I hope you find heaps of color in your pans and wish you good fortune going forward.

Beagleboy said:
Just throw some sand in it and start panning. It will season itself in no time. Garrett pans are the best but you can use any thing that is similar shape to catch gold as long as you know what you are doing.
I live in eastern suburbs of Melbourne so if you get stuck I have some pans you can have for free. Just pm me.

Thanks to all on the pan seasoning advice. I managed to get a pan from Anaconda today. 36cm black with 3 raised ridges along half of the pan. Looks cheap and nasty to be honest and nothing like what I viewed at the MinersDen online.

I'm set for tomorrow at least but will promptly replace the pan for Garrett or turbo one. $11 was the cost so not really bothered about it. I'm sure it will a day of laughs and lots of mistakes but all part of learning the hobby.

Latest posts