Hello From Gippsland Lakes

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone I've just recently joined the forum. My names Matt I'm 40, I moved away from the GTriangle to live in Gippsland. I since have caught the fever bad. I am interested in loaming at the moment, I also purchased my first detector 6mths ago. I spent 12 months on research. Now the weather is better it's game on. I have much to learn.
I found a unique rock. I think it is a fossil. But I found nothing online like it. I can't start a new topic for this question because I'm new still and can't. Please ignore the rock if I've broken forum rules. I just want to know how rare it is.
Thanks
Matt

1473889169_image.jpeg

1473889169_image.jpg

Thank you

Welcome to PA Matt. Your rock looks way too symmetrical to be naturally formed. The first looks like a jaw with rows of teeth. I will follow with interest to hear others' opinions.

Thanks bigwave.
I just wanted to add that both photos are two sides of the same rock. I can only guess but I think it's a fossil. Only part of a cone shell that you find on rocks at the beach, stuck fast to rocks in waves it's like a suction cup, pyramid shaped shell. I am a betting man and I've had all night about it.

Hi and welcome Matt can you put a coin next to it as a size reference inland or on shore. :D

Hello Matthew, I am no expert but it looks like an excellent example of a partially opalised herbivore molar .....I am keen to hear what others think and would love to have a photo with a coin beside it for scale
Either way, a very wonderful find !
Maybe look at some pics of old mammoth molars or teeth just for insights into the design and structure of herbivore teeth or even a horses molar...

Thank you for sharing!

Hi there Jaros, Vstrom and Happytrails.
Thanks for making me feel welcome everyone.
Funny you mention tooth, it was my first guess. I will send a photo with a different perspective asap. Fossicked 100 metres inland from the coast line where that many years ago was the original and natural entrance to the lakes.
I will certainly take on the coin idea. When I get home I'll take some better photos. Molar looking from the side angle.
Thanks people

Hi Casper.
I googled fossil tooth. Hundreds of photos of elephant tusk/fang shaped teeth. Even more shark tooth fossils. Nothing even a bit like this one.
I think I will have a quick web search on herbivore molar. etc.

Matthew K said:
Hi Casper.
I googled fossil tooth. Hundreds of photos of elephant tusk/fang shaped teeth. Even more shark tooth fossils. Nothing even a bit like this one.
I think I will have a quick web search on herbivore molar. etc.

I've encountered a few skulls and jawbones in the bush - those of sheep roos and cattle and your find more resembles those of cattle (maybe horse). Re photographing with a dollar coin will give those of us interested in this mystery piece have some reference of scale....

casper

Sorry everyone for the delay I've been out in the gold fields.
Stay tuned for a photo with coin and better angle showing another viewpoint
Thanks