Hello from BC, Canada!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I just finished a year working in Western Australia and now I am back at home in BC for 'MY' summer. I've really caught the bug for gold and gem prospecting because of all these gold shows. I know Australia has heaps of gold, which has me asking the question - why isn't anyone in Australia making the small 2-3 man prospecting size trommel?

My second question is one I have to ask because it may be the reason why no one is making them over there. Are trommels legal in Australia? If yes, can an Aussie order one from north america and have it delivered there?

My Aussie girlfriend is with me at the moment but she's bringing me back! So I want to have a rockin hobby. I was thinking Victoria or the ACT. Are those machines allowed over there?

Thanks for your input! Have a great day!

Hi BB

welcome to the page

do you have any photos of the type of trommel you're thinking of ?

the laws around australia are a bit ambiguous , there are some types of equipment that are not stated as being either allowed or banned , the rules are just not specific enough for the modern prospector.

things like crevicing pumps and trommels dont really get a mention

this may be about to change in NSW and victoria though with submissions being made over the past month or so

i have outlined this to two of our govt bodies recently , and also asked for exemption to be made for prospectors to use handheld battery operated vacuum cleaners for crevicing "because they have a smaller work zone and would create less environmental footprint"

best wishes with your prospecting anyway :)

Nice Artwork Jaros. I like yours too Headsup. I need to make one.

That would suck if abott let that happen in regards to NSW and Victoria not allowing prospectors their ability to use trommels, sluices and vaccuums. What about Tasmania - can I operate my own trommel and sleuce down there? Cheers. :)

Here's the other link I know of for professional prospecting trommels. I was staring at their 159V model and wondering if I could have it shipped to Australia. What do you guys think? Would customs allow it into the country?

For Victoria I would guess that these trommels are allowed, a bit like a highbanker. However you are restricted to moving the dirt by hand i.e. shovel so keeping it loaded would be a problem. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can post a more detailed response.

Thanks for pointing me in the right directions as I learn about the equipment to use guys! Have an excellent day! :)

Latest posts