Hardy pick

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDH

Reaction score
A while ago I found an old pick, and being the hoarder I am decided to take it home. Didn't know if I wanted to use it as a tool or keep it as a souviner. Now it resurfaced in the shed this week and got me curious as to weather it's a common pick or a small treasure from the past, as on closer inspection it has the word "Sheffield" punched into it. Now I don't know that much but I thought a lot of silver collectabkes of value were branded with Sheffield England. The pick itself has double sided points and on one side has "the hardy patent pick co" in a horseshoe shaped band with Sheffield on the inner of that, on the opposite side a single word "universal" is stamped onto it. Does anybody have any insight into its abundance or value... In other words should I hand it on the wall or throw it in the took box??

Is this it?

There is heaps of info on the net!

Pick_-_Hardy_Patent_Pick_-_Sheffield.JPG

471px-Im190209Pages-HardyPick.jpg

Yeah I found a little on the net, but as far as info or value it seems rather vague. It seems the name "hardy patent pick co" was formed in 1891 then underwent a name change in 1930. As yet I don't know if it was stamped the same post 1930, presumably not though so as far as it's Age it may be older than I thought. Then I can't find any links to Australia or to its value.

Latest posts