Hand held UHF radio options

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
looking at getting a pair of handheld UHF radios so i can yell at the old man across the goldfield,
anyone know if these upset the detector? i have read powerlines and radio towers can affect it.
wondering about the UHF, thanks.

We got a pair of Uniden UHF for when out in the field. I have not actually had it turned on yet with the detector on but guessing it could interfere. But i have heard the same about mobile phones and GPS and the times i have been detecting with my phone or GPS i have not had any trouble. If out with someone and they do interfere you could allways leave them off and just check in every 1/2 hour or something like that?
Even though they are short distance i feel alot better having them when out in remote areas.

my old man cant hear me once hes more than 10ft away haha definately need a radio.
have always got gps and phone on me, never had a prob with the detector.

Probably no different to having your mobile phone on you whilst detecting.

A UHF radio is a good bit of gear to have on you whilst out bush.

just for anyone wondering, i bought a pair anyway, and they dont affect the detector.
thanks.

any one using a ICON IC 41 PRO hand held radio are they good or is there other hand held radios around the same price range that are better thanks regards john

Honestly bought a 2 pack from SCA 2 years ago for my son and his mate to play with , cost about $50 for the pair and take AA batteries which is excellent....

The point is they have more range than the $500 dollar ones we use.

They are red with black aerials , cant think of brand atm.

They should be alright old hand. Can come in red or orange as well to help us who misplace things easier to find. Should get good range being 5 watt and having a large aerial like that. I'd give it 2 thumbs up. :Y: :Y:

Cheers

Doug

I use the ICOM IC41Pro and think it's great. Also waterproof at IP67.
It has some features that you don't generally need, such as automatic networking where it transmits a short burst every minute to find out which other mobiles are about.
I had to turn this off (took me a while to figure out)as it used to mess with my 4500.
I also have a pair of Motorola units (2W) which I loan to my kids.

Latest posts