Gympie gold tales....

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been researching Gympie and come across some funny things in the news...like this one back in 1905..

Surface hill has always been noted for its alluvial gold and "specking" has been a favorite occupation in the locality after a heavy storm. It would appear the human "specker" has his counterpart in the poultry world, for on sunday when Mr Chas.
Brasch washed and panned off the contents of his ducks gizzard, he was rewarded by getting quite a number of coarse colours of gold. Doubtless the birds, in their search for grit would be attracted by the bright colour of the gold, and the gold , being metallic, would remain in the gizzard for a longer period than other substances... :D

Bloke not far from here had the same thing happen with his chooks.
Bottom of the coop is cleaned out carefully. LOL
Especially after it has rained. :)

I cant find it printed but i could imagine an anual duck roast after heavy storms ofcoarse...hehehe
Hows this next one.....
Reward offered 5 will be paid for such information leading to the conviction of any person throwing eggs or any other explosive in any street or public place within the city boundry..

A mate of mine told me his grandmothers chooks or ducks (can't remember)use to roam the creek bank out near Majors Creek and they would regularly kill a chook to eat and would find gold in their gizzards a lot.Apparently his Gran had a nice little vial of gold when she passed on.

Sounds like a good place to set up a free range chook farm . Could be an extra income stream that the powers that be don't know about. Sorry but can just see us all now taking a trailer load of chooks out to our favorite spot :D

I can see farmers now starting to check out their chooks and ducks with a pinpointer to select one for dinner, can just imagine the horrified look on the chooks face if the pinpointer beeps.

Mike.

Latest posts