GROUND BALANCE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rockhunter62 said:
savage bitter said:
madtuna said:
OrangeNugget said:
OMFG.

GB is THE most important function on your machine. manual GB is the best.

unfortunately the gpcrap 4500 doesnt have manual ground balance it comes with a bunch of
pre loaded configs which can be good as you have found and bad as well.

the tracking type GB sux too as it WILL tune out small nuggets as it thinks they are positive hot rocks. i find this machine to be entirely clunky in operation, its slow and un refined. but yes yes it does go DEEP.
dude...I think you must have a Chinese knock off
there is another thread were orangenuggets only post is MINELAB SUCKS he is just fishing for something I an pretty sure ctxkid said he will go far on pa

He also made a comment in the QED thread about knobs. He must be using one of these.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lon...E&biw=768&bih=1024&dpr=2#imgrc=w8Be8m8YTYC-qM

Cheers

Doug
more than likely is

PhaseTech said:
Specific GB in the 4500 and 5000 sets a very precise ground balance for the ground you are on. The drawback is that it goes out of balance a little more regularly (depending on how variable the ground is). If the ground is hot and you are methodically working a small area, then can be well worth it.

This is exactly what I have been doing. I found a small patch of shallow nuggets not far from the reef. I think I'll continue with specific and swap the 12 for the sadie and see what else is there. Then perhaps swing the mighty spoked 15 over it to be sure

mbasko said:
If you had switched into Enhance (or possibly Sensitive Smooth) & maybe adjusted your gain + stabiliser settings then IMO you would likely have corrected your issues/frustration.
Sensitive Extra will pick up more hot rocks etc. in some ground types. IMO use Enhance as your go to setting & try other timings from there.
Don't get set on one set of settings. Be prepared to try different settings when conditions dictate. :Y:

Thanks for the tips mbasko

I probably need to spend a lot more time reading up on the machine and the different setting for different conditions and also spend a lot more time out bush using the machine and trying different settings etc.
A days detecting here and there every few months is not enough.

I run the 5000 in fixed and ground balance as required if it gets out. Mostly in fine gold, if it gets too hot then enhanced. That covers most of it. Very rarely smooth, normal or extra. Never really used tracking much. Have tried specific GB, can't remember why now, was probably for one particular spot. But pretty much always General GB and balance with the button.

mbasko said:
<SNIP>

The only preloaded configurations (SEARCH MODES) on the GPX are there to help new users get started quickly in either General or Deep settings. These are only starting points of pre configured settings (not ground balance!) & can be user adjusted at any time to suit. The GPX has 100's of manually adjustable settings to suit conditions & the individual user once comfortable in it's use.

Anyone not using these settings or thinking one lot of settings will cover all various ground, environmental conditions (EMI etc.), coils etc. etc. isn't getting the full potential out of their machine.

One example I have seen is training sessions that give a manual setting for tuning the GPX. How on earth can one setting suit the multitude of various external EMI conditions encountered Nationally or Statewide let alone just in your own general area baffles me. Auto tune then manually adjust to suit if necessary. Same goes for gain & stabiliser - they will change in different ground, different EMI, different days, dry/wet ground & so on.

110% for all machines: So many variables and they are forever changing. Thus changing 5 settings and then stating that changing X was the key LOL it more like poking a tub of jelly. even one poke can have a multitude of reactions.

Like people saying that when you go back and swing the coil over the same ground they found stuff they missed OR machine A is better than B. Most times the coil is over different ground at a different angle, speed and 101 different variables. Yet so many use that activity to promote A over B.

However some will always just want those magic settings that covers all conditions = FB will give you plenty but the reality is that every day is different and while there may be a baseline to start from; you still have to read the conditions / know your machine. And then make one or more adjustments and often ongoing throughout the day and you still do not know if the settings were ideal. It is all a work in progress.

Testing in a lab type setting may look good on paper but it all goes wonky when in the field.

GB is complicated and the actual ground makeup can change in short distances, let alone teh same ground with a bit of humidity. Bloody variables just keep getting in the way.

Need some smart AI software to make all the adjustments on the fly and run from a button cell = Turn on and select Auto mode rather than Manual LOL.

Gday

The 4500 is one of the best detectors minelab have ever produced, and about the above comments by orange nugget I concur with madtuna, you either must have a chinelab knockoff or you have no idea how to use this awesome detector, but anyway it is what it is.

Ground balancing the 4500 has to be done correctly, and it is a very specific procedure, there was a very good video by Jonathan Porter where he demonstrated the correct procedure but I could not find the link for it, also a dvd he put out called "unleashing the gpx" or something like that and it might have shown the procedure on that, anyway I have met many 4500 owners who were not aware of how the ground balancing should be done.

I wont attempt to explain it here as the procedure is best watched as someone does it and it will make more sense, so the best idea is to have a hunt around for it on utube or google or look for the dvd as I have seen them on ebay and watch it through.

cheers

stayyerAU

Latest posts