How do you tell the difference between ground noise and a true target signal?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkear

Geoff Mostyn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd start this topic for the benefit of newbies as this seems one of the problems that many face when starting out. I have witnessed some newbies digging huge holes in search of that elusive ill-defined "target" that seem to be forever moving around in the hole. I am reasonably happy with my own ability to identify ground noise but one can always learn if there are better ways.
When I am faced with an iffy signal my first reaction is to ground balance just off to one side.
If the signal continues after that I always scrape a small bit off the surface and check again for any increase in loudness or definition.
If the signal continues on deeper into the dig with still no better definition, I just assume it to be ground noise.
Does any one else have any other methods to save themselves some detecting time.

After going out four times now over the last 2 weeks for 6 hours a piece with the Gold Monster 1000. I cannot stress enough what everyone told me.

Know your machine.

I've been going over ground that makes signals that I think is gold and determining whether it's gold or junk, now I dig the target either way but trying to tell what it is by listening. And I've learnt something every single time just by listening on whether it's gold or junk, sometimes junk sounds like gold but I'll put my test nugget down next to the "fake" signal and analyse.

I've learn more this way than any other way.

Find a "fake" target, put my test piece down next to it and listen to the difference. There is a difference, whether it be small or big but there's always a difference.

Pleasure G n J, but not my work so can't take credit for another's efforts ;)
Yes, but you brought it to my attention which I appreciate. I’m not very good at searching for things on this site yet. Still learning how to navigate it.

I suggest you ground balance on a tiny bit of gold away from the hole, then place that piece in the hole and try detecting it... it may change the way you determine ground noise! The only safe way I've found to determine ground noise is to spread the dug pile right out, if that changes the detectors response - usually softening it... its ground noise. If you still have a distinct signal, continue to investigate.

Last edited:
Ever been around a tree got a target then as you dig you start to suspect ground noise but it sounds too good & ground balancing doesn't seem to work? It can end up being a root! (GPZ 7000 are good rooters (not necessarily talking about the owner - but in my case🤣))

My fix for this scenario is to wave the coil across the trunk of the tree if it sounds like what you're digging STOP DIGGING!

This covers it pretty well

Hello, can anyone say if this method is valid with the 6000? I tried this method with clay today, but I kept getting noise. I watched another video today of a guy saying I should hover the coil at ground level over the hole, and if there is little or no noise, then it's just ground noise.

In regards to clay, has anyone got any other tips for a newbie or should I just quit the hole once I notice I'm getting noise in both my throw out and in the hole?

Hello, can anyone say if this method is valid with the 6000? I tried this method with clay today, but I kept getting noise. I watched another video today of a guy saying I should hover the coil at ground level over the hole, and if there is little or no noise, then it's just ground noise.

In regards to clay, has anyone got any other tips for a newbie or should I just quit the hole once I notice I'm getting noise in both my throw out and in the hole?
The ground is really wet and super conductive atm mate, like trying to detect a piece of gold on a sheet of iron. I'm simply waiting for summer and the wait sux.

Latest posts