grid riffle configurations

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20x

scott
Reaction score
Rainy day so thought I would design some grid riffle configurations based on wal's milk crate idea.

The following are just theorys and totally un-tested even though its probly been done before...

the 'T-fall'... spread and reduce, off-set to mix it up...

1401608688_t_fall.jpg

the 'I-gate excelerator'...to spread before riffles and extending the distance between riffles in the grid allowing water to regain speed to allow for more evenly powered vortex's...

1401609218_i-flow.jpg

the 'Excelebreaker'....same theory as the I-gate but without spread or reduction...

1401609392_excelebraker.jpg

the 'Underwinder'....would more than likely have no advantage at all but would be interesting to see what happens lol....

1401609795_underwinder.jpg

Hi 20xwater, Its raining there to so I went out to the shed and 3 dolly pots with handles
1401612364_dcp_0683.jpg

That kept me out of mischief for a couple hours

Are you going to try and make these up mate, or just having a dabble in some ideas...............
It was raining my way on the weekend so the mrs and i shot over to Kilmore to purchase a new pair of prospecting boots at Horseland (composite ARIAT) be darngone if they didnt have them or a pair of assless leather chaps........................................................ for the mrs (she rides horses),anyways, was really frowned upon when i asked them for a pair of those.......HUH........... i just dont get it, there only boots !!!!! : :eek:
So we wheeled into the Tooborac hotel for a couple pints of dark ale.

dwt said:
Are you going to try and make these up mate, or just having a dabble in some ideas...............
It was raining my way on the weekend so the mrs and i shot over to Kilmore to purchase a new pair of prospecting boots at Horseland (composite ARIAT) be darngone if they didnt have them or a pair of assless leather chaps........................................................ for the mrs (she rides horses),anyways, was really frowned upon when i asked them for a pair of those.......HUH........... i just dont get it, there only boots !!!!! : :eek:

both mate, but instead of using milk crates im sure I remember seeing alloy grids over lights in classrooms for e.g...

would need to build a transparent acrylic sluice to best view the behaviours I think....

Question....has anyone ever bothered to attempt to create a...

sluice-width/riffle-height/riffle-style/flow-rate universal hypothesis?

20xwater said:
dwt said:

both mate, but instead of using milk crates im sure I remember seeing alloy grids over lights in classrooms for e.g...

would need to build a transparent acrylic sluice to best view the behaviours I think....

Question....has anyone ever bothered to attempt to create a...

sluice-width/riffle-height/riffle-style/flow-rate universal hypothesis?

I've looked intro this many times hopefully someone can guide you and me, sadly I do not think it exists, most experimenting stops when the desired effect is achieved.

something else that ive been thinking about to be incorporated into all of this is....

In an episode of mythbusters recently they experimented with the tail gate down tail gate up fuel consumption myth, they made a water tunnel and put a toy matchbox ute in it and added coconut flakes or white plastic flakes to the water to study the drag.

what I noticed was with the tail gate up, the power of the vortex behind the cab was increased heaps.

im thinking this effect is simular to the lift created by vortexing air under the shape of a planes wing.

so....

to start each riffle section in a sluice im thinking of having another riffle say about 50% lower in height right behind it (distance back to be tested) and then the grids. (sliding shower door tracks )!!!!!!

actual length of grids and distances between riffle (sets) extending down the sluice.

surely there is a simple and cheap flow rate meter to tap in to the feed/intake manifold so an exact measurement of everything can be recorded as all this is experimented with.

oh what fun :lol:

Latest posts