Green (and gold?) perhaps one day!! Jewels first!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi forum!

I am totally green to fossicking and prospecting for gold.

I want to get out of town for a few days over the coming weeks with a spirit of adventure and thirst for the hunt.

I mean it when I say totally green, so with that in mind csn anyone recommend where to start (both figurativley and literally speaking?

I live in Sydney CBD. Will be heading up the central coast...

Moderator Request.
Please remove your email from your tag list.
Displaying email address's is not allowed.
Thanks,

Welcome Young Herbert,
Hope you enjoy the forum; plenty of good people and articles to read within, you could also search YouTube.
Sorry I cant help as I'm other side of continent.

Yep youtube is your friend. Many many videos of fossicking, panning, hi banking, detecting and with a variety of equipment and hints. Also have a browse through the previous posts here on the forum. Lots of great vids and posts and pics right here on the forum. :)

G'day Mate,

Welcome to the forum and to the fossicking fraternity.

Unfortunately you said you're heading up the Central Coast. There isn't a lot for gem & gold prospecting in that area. Unfortunately you have to go a little further afield.

For gems you'd be well advised to start somewhere like Glen Innes/Inverell. Have a look at Billabong Blue's website and here where it's mentioned on the forum.

For gold, if you're new you'll probably only have pans? That being the case, you're looking for alluvial gold (in rivers and creeks) - your best bet is going to be somewhere like around Bathurst/Orange - Sofala, the Turon River, Ophir, or Tuena.

What we all do is pour over old maps of gold/gem deposits. There's some great Google Earth tools you can use to find sites, Six Maps Viewer and heaps of other tools.

Young Herbert said:
Hi forum!

I am totally green to fossicking and prospecting for gold.

I want to get out of town for a few days over the coming weeks with a spirit of adventure and thirst for the hunt.

I mean it when I say totally green, so with that in mind csn anyone recommend where to start (both figurativley and literally speaking?

I live in Sydney CBD. Will be heading up the central coast...

Moderator Request.
Please remove your email from your tag list.
Displaying email address's is not allowed.
Thanks,

Sorry Mod,

Mustn't have taken that in when skimmed the rules page.

All fixed...

Bobh said:
Welcome Young Herbert,
Hope you enjoy the forum; plenty of good people and articles to read within, you could also search YouTube.
Sorry I cant help as I'm other side of continent.

Thank you Bob!!

Chewy said:
Yep youtube is your friend. Many many videos of fossicking, panning, hi banking, detecting and with a variety of equipment and hints. Also have a browse through the previous posts here on the forum. Lots of great vids and posts and pics right here on the forum. :)

Many thanks for this lead!

Here I shall begin my quest for the glorious shiny wonders!

Latest posts