First day gold hunting with SDC

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussieroger

Roger
Reaction score
Howdy all,
My first day gold hunting turned out adventurous,with a few learning curves thrown in,
My self and the misses ventured out to Yandoit for a swing,
Now,I've used my sdc2300 at the beach,
and in a few parks before ,but It's main function is to hunt for gold in the triangle,
So we headed out for our first gold hunting expedition on Saturday,
Awesome weather,having a good time then I noticed something,
The detector was picking up a bit of metal in the sole of my shoe,
I remembered from the first time I used the detector,I wore Work boots with steel caps doh, not good,so this time I wore the old runners, Now these runners I had on are old so I had no problem pulling the inner soul out and removing the metal,
So problem solved,,,Nope
When I decided take up this hobby
There was one thing I totally did not think about or take into consideration,
About twenty years ago I had an accident,
And smashed my leg,I've healed well,
To the point i don't think about it now,
Don't think about it that is until I go gold detecting that is,
See I've had to adapt to the signal my SDC puts out,with the added twist,
If I think I can hear something in the ground I will put my left leg forwards and swing over that spot again,
Why?
Because I've realised the detector is picking up the screws in my right leg,
It's not to bad,and now I know I have adapted to it,
Next thing I've learnt is,and really this is a no brainer,Do not brush flys way from your face while you have your pick in your hand :eek: I'd just finished night shift so I was a little tired and that's my excuse for being a dum arse,
Not thinking,I had detector in one hand and pick I the other,
Got myself right in the forehead with the pointy bit,a bit of blood but other than than I was ok,
Any way all good and kept on detecting,
After about 3 hours the plan was to head up to Webberburn just for a look around for next time,
This story goes on for a little bit so I'll leave it there,and continue later,
A bit happened to us in Maldon on the way,we didn't even make it to Webberburn,
I'll continue this soon,
It's getting late, :)
Cheers regards Roger

aussieroger said:
Next thing I've learnt is,and really this is a no brainer,Do not brush flys way from your face while you have your pick in your hand yikes I'd just finished night shift so I was a little tired and that's my excuse for being a dum arse,

See bold... That can happen if you swing the pick to hard...

I was out last weekend... Tired and a bit of a headache / possible migraine coming on...

CTX3030 in one hand and a Solid digger and pinpointer in the other... For some reason, a number of big bloody march flies decided they were going to take me on...

One on my right arm just near the cuff that holds the ctx3030, one on my right hand and another doing fast distraction passes across my face.

As the one on my arm bit, I flexed and crushed him on the strap. The other one was looking at me as he bit; and I let go of the handle on the 3030 and tried brush/crush him.

At that stage I felt this sharp sting on my left temple... Instant reaction... Left had goes straight up. With some luck, the digger hit my hat and popped it off and the blunt end of the pin pointer smacked me in the side of the head HARD.

Went back to the car, sprayed myself with bushmans, took twice the meds I now needed and lay down under the running boards and slept for a while.

The thing was that I could see the pinpointer coming at me and I knew it was not going to be a good outcome. But I could not stop it. And most of all those 2 march flys got away... That is what truley pissed me off :eek:

Wife just laughed when I told her..

Hey mate good to see you got out there it's hard finding time to get out and use your detector it's amazing how much you pick up when you use your detector for the first time :)

Howdy numbers,
Yes slowly learning mate
Haven't found colour yet but liking it so
Far,
Went out today to whip and meet a member from here ,bit of surprise didn't expect to see any body,
Great people and gave me some pointers too,
Cheers :D

Found first gold at whipstick on Sunday
.46g very very happy with that,
Tried shrinking pic on app,all good that went ok just haven't got the patients atm to work out how to get it from there to post here,
Don't matter just wanted to let anyone who cares know about my find
Have a good night :|

I just had a great belly laugh! Much appreciated.Im happy to say I don't have any metal in my body but ive certainly DONKED myself in the field...asking why did I just do that?

A great result aussieroger especially on your second trip out. Yes I have the scar in the centre of my forehead from the pointy end as well :|

aussieroger said:
Found first gold at whipstick on Sunday
.46g very very happy with that,
Tried shrinking pic on app,all good that went ok just haven't got the patients atm to work out how to get it from there to post here,
Don't matter just wanted to let anyone who cares know about my find
Have a good night :|

Good onya Assieroger.
Gotta be happy with that find....heres hoping you find a lot of his friends to keep him company. :)

Nice work buddy it's good when your hard work pays off that feeling you get when you find your first gold feels really good doesn't it ???