granya goldfield

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard there was some mining around the Granya area, not sure how productive the area was though.
I was interested in a few area's up that way as I used to live near by, well at Corryong which isn't too far away, still have family up there.

Granya was mainly a reefing field. Geovic 3 shows one alluvial gully. The country is pretty steep so any nuggets would have been covered by a fair depth of alluvium unless sitting right on top of the ridges.

In 1988, a pair of gold fossickers found a headless body in a disused mineshaft in the Granya goldfields at the site of a mini gold rush in 1878 Mount Firebrace at the old Granya area,

All I can say is sometimes you really don't know who the bloke next to you is :/ ...

Oh ok, nice spot up there. I was only there for a few years, moved there in 2007, moved to Ballarat just over 2 years back.
Not sure if you were around at that time though. Few area's up around that way that would be good to check out.

Here is the story that greencheeks refers to above. Of course, not all bodies that end up down a shaft got there accidentally. This case is interesting, as in spite of all the trouble the murderers went to hide the body and make it unidentifiable, they left the victim's wallet in his back pocket!

"In June 1988 two timber cutters exploring a mine shaft in country Victoria discovered a badly decomposed, headless body. Documents on the body established that it was that of Phil_H. (age 35, unemployed), better known to his friends as Rhino. The story the police were able to piece together indicated that for some time Rhino had been a source of trouble for his friends.
On the day he was killed. Rhino had engaged in a heated argument with Perry H. (age 20, unemployed). Partly the argument was because Rhino had earlier broken into the house of Perry's sister, stealing a video and stereo. Also, Perry was certain that Rhino had stolen some pills from one of the rooms in his house. In response, Rhino was said to have threatened not only Perry, but Perry's children, and was seen to have struck one of the children.
The group (several lived at the house) then calmed down a bit, and settled into some serious drinking. After a few hours, most had gone to sleep. One of the residents of the house stated that Perry then came up to him and said: Let's kill the scumbag. The two then finished off about half a bottle of whisky, and by then were in an aggro mood. The two went out to Rhino's truck, where Rhino slept. Perry went in through the passenger's door, his friend went on the driver's side. The friend stated that at this point Perry said something like, how you gain? and Rhino turned to the friend and said: 'G'day'. The friend states that at this point he told Perry to forget about it, but that as he was turning away he heard a couple of thumps and then heard Rhino gurgle. The friend returned to the truck, and looking at Rhino told Perry that he was dead, but Perry still stabbed Rhino two or three more times in the chest.
The conspirators first disposed of the body burying it in a shallow grave in nearby bushland. Becoming apprehensive that it would be discovered, they returned later to dig the body up and then dispose of it down the mine shaft. At some later point one of the co-defendants returned to the scene and cut the head off the body and buried it in isolated bushland some distance away. When questioned later, Perry said that: I wouldn't have done it if he didn't threaten the people I love. (Case No. 2329-88)"

This story is from Ken Polk's book When Men Kill, Scenarios of Masculine Violence.

DrDuck said:
Here is the story that greencheeks refers to above. Of course, not all bodies that end up down a shaft got there accidentally. This case is interesting, as in spite of all the trouble the murderers went to hide the body and make it unidentifiable, they left the victim's wallet in his back pocket!

"In June 1988 two timber cutters exploring a mine shaft in country Victoria discovered a badly decomposed, headless body. Documents on the body established that it was that of Phil_H. (age 35, unemployed), better known to his friends as Rhino. The story the police were able to piece together indicated that for some time Rhino had been a source of trouble for his friends.
On the day he was killed. Rhino had engaged in a heated argument with Perry H. (age 20, unemployed). Partly the argument was because Rhino had earlier broken into the house of Perry's sister, stealing a video and stereo. Also, Perry was certain that Rhino had stolen some pills from one of the rooms in his house. In response, Rhino was said to have threatened not only Perry, but Perry's children, and was seen to have struck one of the children.
The group (several lived at the house) then calmed down a bit, and settled into some serious drinking. After a few hours, most had gone to sleep. One of the residents of the house stated that Perry then came up to him and said: Let's kill the scumbag. The two then finished off about half a bottle of whisky, and by then were in an aggro mood. The two went out to Rhino's truck, where Rhino slept. Perry went in through the passenger's door, his friend went on the driver's side. The friend stated that at this point Perry said something like, how you gain? and Rhino turned to the friend and said: 'G'day'. The friend states that at this point he told Perry to forget about it, but that as he was turning away he heard a couple of thumps and then heard Rhino gurgle. The friend returned to the truck, and looking at Rhino told Perry that he was dead, but Perry still stabbed Rhino two or three more times in the chest.
The conspirators first disposed of the body burying it in a shallow grave in nearby bushland. Becoming apprehensive that it would be discovered, they returned later to dig the body up and then dispose of it down the mine shaft. At some later point one of the co-defendants returned to the scene and cut the head off the body and buried it in isolated bushland some distance away. When questioned later, Perry said that: I wouldn't have done it if he didn't threaten the people I love. (Case No. 2329-88)"

This story is from Ken Polk's book When Men Kill, Scenarios of Masculine Violence.
1450587625_kelly_axe.jpg

If I remember rightly a homemade double sided axe something like this one was used , please edit if I am wrong.. cheers DD that was great read..

Latest posts