GPX6000 Battery Question

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teemore

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Does the 6000 battery carry enough charge "out of the box" to put in a few hours detecting?

Friend is super keen to try it out on the way home from the dealer.

Cheers T.

Get him to fire it up and report back :Y: 1st I've heard of anyone being that keen, I doubt he's the 1st.

Chuck the battery on the 12v charger until he arrives at his intended destination. If he's picking it up tomorrow and the dealer has time to charge the battery he's on a winner :beer:

I bought a new jump starter. It had some charge in but not a full charge . It is common that they put some charge in but not a full charge .

Lithium Ion batteries should be stored when not in use for longer periods at about 40 to 50% charge.
That's why they come with some charge in them when you buy them (or something powered by them).
There's no real need to fully charge them before first use although most manufacturers recommend it. The only downfall is that you will get a shorter use first up but if just wanting to test it out should have enough charge for at least a couple of hours use.
Lithium Ion batteries also self discharge over time but that shouldn't be an issue with the GPX6000. In storage you should only need to recharge to 40-50% once or twice a year so the GPX6000 shouldn't have been sitting around that long in the shop to lose too much of the initial 40-50% charge.

Agree John you must have good stamina, if I'm out for a few days I usually do roughly 3hr in the morning and 3hr in the afternoon, I have stretched it to 2 x 4hrs sessions and still had 1 good bar on the screen, then I put the battery on charger overnight.
Contemplated buying a second battery but considering I can't flatten the first battery on any given day I couldn't see the point.

ProspectorPete said:
Agree John you must have good stamina, if I'm out for a few days I usually do roughly 3hr in the morning and 3hr in the afternoon, I have stretched it to 2 x 4hrs sessions and still had 1 good bar on the screen, then I put the battery on charger overnight.
Contemplated buying a second battery but considering I can't flatten the first battery on any given day I couldn't see the point.

Been wondering about this. I too may have up to 2x4 hour sessions a day or a 5 and 2 or 3 and mine seems to run out. Could it be the settings it is being run on? I usually run in Auto and it chatters quite a bit at times.
The other thing I've noticed that charging via a ciga socket or the battery clamps seems to charge it up to full a lot faster than through the 240V mains. I don't know much about electricity so I have no idea what's going on.
Maybe I've had too much sun lately :(

I don't know if it is just me but I find the 6000 works better and more stable with a fresh battery. I always take 2 and tend to swap out after 3-4 hours and put old battery on charge in LC.
1643785669_img_8265.jpg

Teemore said:
Does the 6000 battery carry enough charge "out of the box" to put in a few hours detecting?

Friend is super keen to try it out on the way home from the dealer.

Cheers T.
Why on earth would you waste your time using a machine that hasn't got enough charge to work efficiently when the manufacturer Tells You Clearly to charge the product before you use it. :/

RM Outback said:
Mike678 said:
You must have a lot of stamina , 8 hours swinging a coil , is a good days work . I could not do it .

He said 8 hours, nothing about session times or over how many days :playful:

An 8 hour session with any machine is hard yards imb.

I have run it out a few times in a day RM. The best thing about it is how light it is. No harness, no cables, compared to my old 4500 this thing is lightweight.
Soon there will be no leadshot left in the GT. Just nuggets for mugs like me. :D

But let's stay on topic about the battery. Another 200 grams of battery weight would have been beneficial but who knows how it would have balanced out then.

Latest posts