GPX6000 aftermarket shaft

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well i ended up getting shafts,yokes,clamps and a few bits to try out on our 6's.
A link i posted to one size shaft was a fail the wall is just to thin,another i ordered to suit the old gpx yoke was a win (much thicker wall section) and i've used it for weeks now with a new top clamp and it's transformed the detector but i'm not sold on the old gpx yoke as it's 1.5 mm wider overall and spreads the coil mounts slightly,long term it just might cause cracks on the coil,i'm anal when it comes to this type of stuff.
So in my search i found a supplier that could fill my needs,it wasn't easy as i wanted the yoke the same dimensions as the 6 and the clamps to suit,the shaft had to be slightly thicker then the originals preferably to reduce flex etc,bingo they could do it,wall thickness is .5mm thicker compared to the original shafts and the yokes are made to fit.
Then they said you can only buy in bulk,oh bugger so i asked if the pattern and finish could be identical to the 6 shafts and yes no probs.

So the outcome is i'll have a bunch for sale if anyone is interested, it will turn the 6 into a 2 piece stem with an adjustable top clamp supplied in the kit,
yes you must cut gingerly through the top clamp and remove it or leave the twist lock one in place but i can tell you now the lever clamps are the bomb, so easy to use and no twisting or movement at all.
Should have them in about 3 weeks so pm if your interested....
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/conversations/add?to=Goldchaser1
1634623205_cc64cdbf-188f-4825-815e-4e5157b266a5.jpg

1634623205_fde17979-e46c-455c-975b-3d377cd4ad89.jpg

1634623205_2112801d-1020-44dc-b968-c94c228c3d9d.jpg

1634623206_b41c0e8f-c6a8-40d9-979c-ea72987508ce.jpg

Jennifer said:
Goldchaser1 said:
Well i ended up getting shafts,yokes,clamps and a few bits to try out on our 6's.
A link i posted to one size shaft was a fail the wall is just to thin,another i ordered to suit the old gpx yoke was a win (much thicker wall section) and i've used it for weeks now with a new top clamp and it's transformed the detector but i'm not sold on the old gpx yoke as it's 1.5 mm wider overall and spreads the coil mounts slightly,long term it just might cause cracks on the coil,i'm anal when it comes to this type of stuff.
So in my search i found a supplier that could fill my needs,it wasn't easy as i wanted the yoke the same dimensions as the 6 and the clamps to suit,the shaft had to be slightly thicker then the originals preferably to reduce flex etc,bingo they could do it,wall thickness is .5mm thicker compared to the original shafts and the yokes are made to fit.
Then they said you can only buy in bulk,oh bugger so i asked if the pattern and finish could be identical to the 6 shafts and yes no probs.
So the outcome is i'll have a bunch for sale if anyone is interested,it will turn the 6 into a 2 piece stem with an adjustable top clamp supplied in the kit,yes you must cut gingerly through the top clamp and remove it or leave the twist lock one in place but i can tell you now the lever clamps are the bomb,so easy to use and no twisting or movement at all.
Should have them in about 3 weeks so pm if your interested....

You're a freaking genius... I want a set or two.... I'll PM you...

Jen

Ive been called many things jen but genius is not one of them :)
I looked at this when i first got the 6 and thought there was room for improvement,i really had no major probs with the twist locks,a bit of movement on the odd occasion didn't bother me but after using this setup for a month now it's so easy and solid it does make a big difference.
I spoke to a local mob that i thought could make a cuppla shafts for us but they said no not atm so it was overseas for parts in the end.

Shipping has added up so the price inc express post or courier is $149 but they won't be sold if i'm not satisfied with the fitment etc, there was a lot of to and fro so it's looking good.

Removing the top twist clamp is not for everyone but it comes off easy,also you can still use the original shaft of course if need be,one thing i've noticed is if over the years the twist clamps wear out the top one must be fitted on the top shaft before they bond the arm cuff section on,it has 2 locating pins moulded in and i can't see any way to replace it unless it's slid on from the control box end,maybe doable from the bottom i'm not sure. The lever clamp bolts on of course.
I'm hoping to include 2 clamps in the kit also but just getting the correct clamps was a bit of nightmare to be honest,i'll update on that asap...

Shafts and clamps arrived if anyone's interested.
Shafts are 30mm longer then the original 2 piece,including the clamp. They are 50grams heavier, everything fits perfectly. I'm stoked with the outcome,
PM if interested, i'll return pm the people that were waiting on them.
1635745384_dd005274-5840-4de0-bd1b-30c3819c11d1.jpg

1635745384_f94d8b9f-4358-4c12-bbc9-d158d13d3534.jpg
1635745545_ab5afd9a-0289-465e-a8eb-d911456022e1.jpg

Thanks Matt
Besides my listing on ebay Finders Keepers are the sole retailer or wholesaler of them,the first batch we had a few of the coil knuckles come loose,poor bonding from the supplier,they are all keyed up correctly now and 2 part epoxed by myself,we sacrificed a couple to test the strength and the shaft started to crack and the bonding was still holding so there 100% now,shafts,knuckles and the clamps were good quality from the get go.
A lot of people are not keen on removing the twist lock ferrule which is understandable but it's a big improvement if ya willing to.
We are waiting on the next batch which is a bit late atm,im away for another 6 weeks odd atm but as soon as they arrive finders keepers in Kal will have them back in stock.
Dave

Purchased one of Dave's shafts from Finders Keepers a while ago now but finally got it fitted today.
Took all of about 5-10mins slowly cutting through the threaded section of the twist lock then prising the bottom section apart until it splits allowing the locating tabs to come free & it to come off.
20220809_150124.jpg
20220809_150112.jpg
Rock solid once on & no twisting at all.
Wasn't a huge issue to me with mostly using the GPX11 coil but will definitely have a better feel with the 14" or 17".
Will give it a good go in some gullies tomorrow but will mostly have the new Coiltek 9" on to try it out too.
20220809_154042.jpg

First day out last week using Goldchaser1's GPX6000 aftermarket shaft was a pleasure. It's a beauty & if the shaft twisting annoys you at all, even just a little, I'd recommend grabbing one.
Not one shaft twist all day in wet, grassy, rocky ground.
Didn't think I'd find it made a huge difference but a couple of times after digging targets I stood up & went to automatically go to check/adjust the shaft but no need. Amazing how you get conditioned to do something to a point it becomes automatic & only notice when your not needing to do it.
Makes adjustments on the run easy too with the lever shaft lock. Just open the lever then set where you need it to suit ground/slope etc., lock the lever & it doesn't budge until you open it again
(& no moving out of place while tightening the twist locks either).

Thanks for taking the time to investigate all the gear & get these available Dave 👍

Shafts are 30mm longer then the original 2 piece,including the clamp. They are 50grams heavier, everything fits perfectly. I'm stoked with the outcome,
PM if interested, i'll return pm the people that were waiting on them.

My new shaft & clamp arrived. See attached shots. Cut old treaded piece down sides. Am able to fit back into place and use treaded screw if required. Good solid feel to new shaft and clamp.

Attachments

• 20220824_113328.jpg
    20220824_113328.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220824_113354.jpg
    20220824_113354.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220825_164730.jpg
    20220825_164730.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Hi Kiwi01. Can you please describe what you did ? It looks by the photos that you cut the threaded piece on each side, but does that let you remove the threaded piece so you can then use the clamps ? Do like the idea of being able to go back to the screw if wanted.

Hi Kiwi01. Can you please describe what you did ? It looks by the photos that you cut the threaded piece on each side, but does that let you remove the threaded piece so you can then use the clamps ? Do like the idea of being able to go back to the screw if wanted.
What you decribed is correct. By cutting down each side the 2 locating knobs inside the threaded bit inside the shaft stay intact once cut give each side a wiggle with pliers and they come away from the shaft. My thinking is if clamp failed while away the old threaded piece can be used again also if I had to send unit into minelab for any work I would remove the clamp so I didn't lose it if the machine had to be replaced. Hopefully doesn't happen. If you are out detecting and something breaks you don't want to wait several weeks for a part to arrive.

Hi leighd77,
When you cut through the threaded part that is fitted on the shaft you need to cut lightly.
When looking from the end you can gauge the required depth.
Once removed the lever clamp simply slides into place & you tighten up the small bolt to secure it.
I've kept my screw clamp too but doubt I'll ever need it again. The lever clamp is a long way better & the OEM screw type would still work if refitted but likely a bit worse than it was originally for twisting due to the cuts?

Once you fit the lever clamp you can then either use the new one piece shaft for no twisting at all or you can also use the OEM 2 piece shaft (but will still need to use the OEM thread type clamp on the lower 2 piece section & that will still twist a bit).
It may be possible to get another smaller sized lever clamp & replace the metal bolts with plastic (like coil bolts)?

Great idea kiwi,all the ones i've done i threw in the bin,i also just do one cut nearly all the way through then pop it open with a screwdriver,it will flex open enough to slide off,if you were to try and reuse it i think this would be the preferred way,if you just tidy up where it's cut then lightly sand the shaft and the ferrule then 2 part epoxy (araldite) it would work id say.
I had a mate ask early on if i could get clamps to suit the lower shaft also but here's the problem.
You have a metal screw and the threaded bush for the lever clamp,well 2 metal screws actually,so you could easily replace them with nylon bolts (5mm) but the threaded bush is still metal,even if you could source a threaded nylon bush i don't think it would last long at all,there is a bit of pressure on those parts when locking it,i don't think the nylon threads would hold up long at all.

Shafts are 30mm longer then the original 2 piece,including the clamp they are 50grams heavier,everything fits perfectly,i'm stoked with the outcome,pm if interested,i'll return pm the people that were waiting on them.

Hi how do I get this locking shaft

First day out last week using Goldchaser1's GPX6000 aftermarket shaft was a pleasure. It's a beauty & if the shaft twisting annoys you at all, even just a little, I'd recommend grabbing one.
Not one shaft twist all day in wet, grassy, rocky ground.
Didn't think I'd find it made a huge difference but a couple of times after digging targets I stood up & went to automatically go to check/adjust the shaft but no need. Amazing how you get conditioned to do something to a point it becomes automatic & only notice when your not needing to do it.
Makes adjustments on the run easy too with the lever shaft lock. Just open the lever then set where you need it to suit ground/slope etc., lock the lever & it doesn't budge until you open it again
(& no moving out of place while tightening the twist locks either).

Thanks for taking the time to investigate all the gear & get these available Dave 👍
I have bought one, but I have a niggling doubt about how the clamp can work, so I have not cut the Minelab thingie off yet.l am dithering !

I have bought one, but I have a niggling doubt about how the clamp can work, so I have not cut the Minelab thingie off yet.l am dithering !
There's no doubt that it works & works well. Once locked on it stays locked on. Considerably better than the stock shaft clamp but if you're not overly concerned about the stock setup then probably not needed.
I wasn't but wouldn't go back to it now.

The clamp makes a big difference jigalong especially with the 17" coil,i was nervous cutting the twist lock ferrule off the first time,once fitted though i couldn't believe the difference out using it,it gives the 6000 a solid feel.

Latest posts