GPS unit and solo prospecting advice needed

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
condor22 said:
I use Ozi have done for many years, I have the PC version and have it on a 7" dash mount tablet with inbuilt GPS antenna and on my Galaxy S3 phone. I use it to plan on PC at home base, to navigate tracks and tracklog whilst driving and very rarely to locate a spot in the bush using the phone.

However I also have the E20 Garmin, Ozi tracks and waypoints can be downloaded (and uploaded) to and from the Garmin. So apart from the safety aspect logging the car, if I want to return to a spot, I mark a waypoint using the E20 and if I want to save it for the next trip I upload to PC and store.

Oziexplorer is only as good as the maps you have, I use 1:250,000 on occasions like planning trips Interstate. 1:100,000 and 1:50,000 intrastate and for track navigation 1:25,000. All maps are Australian Topographical, originally produced by the RAASVY Corp.

I have stitched together individual 25k sheets for areas such as the Goldfields into one map using Ozi's Mapmerge utility, which works well on moving map.

You may want to create a topic on the various ways that you use Ozi, as I am sure that there are many out there that do not use it (but could) and others like me that use it but are likely not getting the most out of its use.

I have found it hard at times to find relevant maps for where I would like to use them, but at other times getting the maps has been easy, but the detail is 30 years old, etc. Very handy for tracking your location in the middle of nowhere and getting back to a spot, especially as the tracks don't have road signs and when they all look the same. Good to be able to show actual tracks versus the old incorrect track details on the maps.

Rob

Yes, gotta agree, Ozi and it`s use, map scanning, georeferencing etc is a Topic of it`s own. Refreshing to see so much use of it on a Forum. Very relevant to prospecting. Will start another Topic and see how it goes.

Bacchus said:
rc62burke said:
Okay Lets get back on Topic a bit!!!

Personally I don't see falling down a shaft as a major concern unless you are running about recklessly !!!!!!!! as most times prospecting you are taking your time unless you are trying to cover some ground to get to an area, obviously you need to be aware of potential hazards in the area you intend working, don't partake in risky behaviour when you are on your own & all should be great fun, "Go & Live a Little"
cheers
Lee

G'day Lee

I enjoy all your contributions , but on this one mate IMO your comment is way off the mark as falling down a shaft is a major concern
Whilst it may be appropriate for the wide open areas of Qld , we do not all enjoy such a luxury. In SA we have three small designated areas to prospect , at Chapel Hill shafts are sometimes only a few feet apart , severely overgrown and in many cases unseen until you are upon them , one misplaced step and you are on your bum such is the foliage " running around recklessly " !!!!!!! Has nothing to do with it I can assure you , as for going and living a little , I currently fly light aircraft and spend a lot of time fishing out of sight of land and must take an Epirb by law , IMHO a walk around Chapel Hill in its current state is just as dangerous if you wish to detect the mullock heaps and I think anyone who has been there would agree

Cheers

Bacchus

Point taken, my post was for the average area! obviously you need to be familiar or aware of the inherent risks of your given area, if it is overgrown then the risk is higher.

Considering the numbers of people that frequent these areas & the fact that I can't recall anyone in the news falling down a shaft I would see it as low risk but potentially hazardous!
cheers
Lee

Latest posts