GPS Receiver

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coota

Mick
Reaction score
Hi , hoping someone can help me out here. Recently I purchased a Surface Pro 4 computer running windows 10. Having been a MAC user for the last several years I'm finding it a little difficult reacquainting myself with Windows but it works a treat with Tengraph, my main reason for buying it.
What I'm chasing now is a suitable GPS Receiver, either Bluetooth or plugin that will run on Google Earth. I have tried a Globalsat BU 353 S4 unit, it worked great with memory maps but not at all with Google earth, just kept searching for the comm port.
Any help greatly appreciated.

To my knowledge Google Earth is not dynamic, so it won't track your position with GPS and needs internet connection to work.

An application such as Oziexplorer on a laptop with a GPS antenna and mapping will. Check the Oziexplorer web site, they do have GPS antennas suitable for laptop portable use.

im no expert here but google maps keeps wanting me to download an area for offline use.
I havent tried it but that might be helpful for the areas you detect.

Then its just a matter of working out the gps side of things

Thanks condor and Neo, was hoping someone out there has a similar setup. I don't think GE needs a internet connection to work as my iPad with an inbuilt GPS worked perfectly but like I said, I'm out of touch with windows.
Cheers

Another quite good set of maps that are free.. google OSM.
Open source mapping, fully downloadable, routable, etc etc. And all free.
There are ios and android apps to suit it, and it even works on garmin handheld gps.

Worth a look

Hi, you can use a program called GooPS from GPStechnologies (free download) which will seamlessly interface the GlobSat BU353 GPS Receiver to Google Earth, or upgrade to Google Earth Pro which is now free to register.

Thanks Neo and Gazeka, between those I should end up with a very good system. Exactly what I was looking for.

Latest posts