GPS - Infotainment unit in Grand Vitara

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here. Not a prospector, but someone on a Suzuki forum suggested I ask this here. Just bought a Suzuki Grand Vitara, 2014, with the Garmin Infotainment unit, which has GPS, radio and other audio stuff. It has a USB port and SD-card slot. In my old car (sold) I used a Garmin Nuvi. and could connect it to my PC and unload and downlod gpx files to it.

I could put weighpoints into it, and could extract the tracks where I drove. Is there any way to do this with the Garmin Infotainment unit?

Thanks for any help
Gary

Thanks grubstake. The manual doesn't talk about this. Garmin website expects us to be well behaved kiddies and only press their designed user friendly (ie. restricted options) touch screen buttons. Hacking is probably beyond my safe computer knowledge - but I think it's based on an Android platform.

Had time today so did a web search on "garmin infotainment gpx files" and may have found a hint that I haven't tried yet. Seems that Harley Davidson bikes have the same unit, but probably with different configurations. I tried to include a link to the discussion on a Harley Davidson forum but not allowed because as a newby I have fewer than 10 posts. I'll try it this way instead for anyone interested - www dot cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=93489.0

In case it's of interest from a non-prospector. I go on kayak camping trips on inland & coastal rivers, and am on the cemeteries committee of the National Trust, so search out lone graves and cemeteries of disappeared towns across NSW during the travels and on rest days. We probably use a lot of the same resources - SIX maps, old parish maps, maps of TSRs. histories of short lived mining & agriculture boom towns, etc.

Latest posts