GPS and Apps for Ipad

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry if its a dumb question but i am trying to refine a suite of tools for navigation and mapping while detecting

A few of you are using Ipads with GisRoam , Memory Maps or OziExlporer from what i can gather

I was going to use my android phone for the above , but OziExplorer doesnt work on android according to what i found so far and i would prefer a bigger screen anyway , plus i cant get GISRoam to install on my android motorola "smart " phone despite several attempts

Those of you using Ipads , are there any models which DONT work with the above ?

are there any models that you recommend because of features that i didnt stumble on yet ?

I have probably been reading advertising blurbs for an hour and still cant fathom what to choose.

the new ones have cellular connectivity , do any of you just take the SIM card from your mobile and stick it in the Ipad while detecting or is there usually no internet coverage in the bush anyway making that uneccesary ?

I know GPS will give you live mapping as you walk anywhere which is the main thing we want

any suggestions ?

i dont have a spare 2 year old kid to ask for tech advice :8

Heads up I got the ipad with retina display wifi and 3G cellular 128 gb space and can run gisroam and gps kit hd even with no Telstra signal or wifi signal as the gps chip is pretty good and the live tracking is a great help.
Gps kit hd is great as you can cache the areas that you will be in for when there is no signals and can drop waypoints and track where you have been plus it will import Kmz files. I just prepay a couple of gigs data before the trip for email and Internet plus I drop a few movies on for the night time to keep me amused. Just a word of warning unless you turn off the function it will embed the gps location on your pictures and videos and that can be read by anyone with the know how so don't post pics of spots you want kept secret.
Cheers
Skip

G'day, HU, I've only used MemoryMaps on an iPad2 with 3G but where I've been going has 3G coverage anyways. I find MM very good to use, just pinpoint where you want go and it's as good as a GPS I reckon.

Thanks for DD for putting me onto it. Check out his website too if you'd like more info: http://www.goldnuggetadventures.com

Au

I'm pretty sure the Wifi only models don't have GPS, only the 3G enabled models. So I don't think OziExlporer will work with the Wifi only models, but I'm not 100% sure.

Ramjet said:
My recommendation... throw out the fruit machine and get an Android :D ;)

Rod

Haha RR, you'll be eatin' dem words as soon I tape the fruit machine to the end of a broom handle and it detects a retirement nugget \_ :D :p :cool:

Au

Ramjet said:
My recommendation... throw out the fruit machine and get an Android :D ;)

Rod

i have a prejudice against some apple products (Iphones) due to my perception that they have a "captive marketing philosophy"

( refer itunes for eg )

and android tablets are heaps cheaper

but i could have bought a laptop with the money i didnt earn today while i was sitting around trying to get my motorola defy to download apps and data . but that could be a Telstra issue , not the phone

:)

Kingsy said:
I'm pretty sure the Wifi only models don't have GPS, only the 3G enabled models. So I don't think OziExlporer will work with the Wifi only models, but I'm not 100% sure.

current Ipads in pic below but i have no idea about the previous , now ,second hand models out there

1375267610_current_ipads.jpg

I wonder why the 3G enabled Mini has GPS but not the Standard size 3G enabled iPad :/ ? Seems pretty poor to me.

ok bit green here, I can put the sim card from my iPhone in my iPad and it'll use the data allowance?

Sw1fty I had to get a different sim that's for ipad data 2gb's for $30 for the month prepaid but that's Telstra .
Ramjet I had an android tablet before the fruit machine and couldn't get the apps I needed to work so hence the fruit machine purchase I only wished that the android apps were as good.
Make sure you get an armoured case for the ipad a bit dear but it will protect it from dust and splashes as you hump it round the bush. Just a side note they won't charge in sub zero temps either found that out last trip had to wait for the morning frost to burn off.
Cheers
Skip

HeadsUp said:
Kingsy said:

current Ipads in pic below but i have no idea about the previous , now ,second hand models out there

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/414/1375267610_current_ipads.jpg

I have the standard ipad2 wifi/3G and it has a gps, don't know why it's not on the specs list.

Bet tip is to get at least 32G , mine is only 16G and I struggle for space.

DD

I was very anti-apple until i saw what DD could do on his i-pad.
I now have an i-pad and i-phone and i have not pulled either of my GPS out since i got them :D
I have the i-pad 3 with retina display, i think its discontinued now for some reason though.

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get some assistance with Gisroam. I have downloaded some maps but can't get them to work :mad:

I followed a post I found by DD on another forum using the exact maps in his tutorial but I am still having no luck processing the data ready to load onto Gisroam. I encounter errors on any map image I try, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Did anyone else encounter the same issue?

West Aussie said:
Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get some assistance with Gisroam. I have downloaded some maps but can't get them to work :mad:

I followed a post I found by DD on another forum using the exact maps in his tutorial but I am still having no luck processing the data ready to load onto Gisroam. I encounter errors on any map image I try, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

what device are you using ?

apple Iphone / Ipad ?

I tried to get this stuff to work on android but it wouldnt behave so i am looking at apple devices now :(

HeadsUp said:
West Aussie said:
Hi all,

what device are you using ?

apple Iphone / Ipad ?

I tried to get this stuff to work on android but it wouldnt behave so i am looking at apple devices now :(

I'm using an Ipad.

Hi DD,

I am hoping you may be able to help me :D I'm trying to get all the WA topo and geo images on Gisroam. I keep getting errors when packaging.

I emailed gisroam support and they said they images will not work. I'm curious how you managed to get them to work.

Thanks
West Aussie

G'day West Aussie, I also had errors when I first got the app. It was a problem with the local connect program not being able to convert the files. They emailed me another version of the program and it all works fine now. Let me know if you don't get it sorted and I can give you a download link I have for it.

DD