Goulburn River Catchment Exemption

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0lddigg@

Dustin
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
BGMap.jpg

The Victorian excepted rivers list has perplexed me for some time and I have been digging to find some reasons to why particular rivers may ahve been closed. There are some old fellas who say that this list was created in the 1800's to prevent settlement on particular waterways throughout the state because it would be difficult for state government to collect facility taxes from these dwellings. IN the case of the Goulburn River it seems that it was only added to the list after 1907 at least, as this article refers to ongoing dredging activities being allowed at time of writing.

From what i read although locals were concerned that the dredge slurry could make them sick the government were not at all concerned with people becoming sick down and were approving both suction and bucket dredging operations.

I know of blokes who were working the Goulburn river in 1974 and doing quite well, i'm wondering if either the list was held under wraps for some time and only enforced when some pencil pusher found a loophole in which he could apply pressure to our hobby or if in fact this list has been compiled based on some factors and if so why cant I find any such info? I know its on the heritage list I know the Goulburn river covers 7.1% of the states total area which is significant but surely a pan cant do more damage than mother nature.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/59589244

Thought anyone?

The original gazette describes our much loved exemption list as "lands reserved for public use"...whether justified, or ungrounded, the banning of prospecting along rivers on the list is, by my reading, allowed by the original legislation, as permissible uses of the land is entirely at the discretion of the body given the responsibility of management of the land; in most cases the DEPI. I am guessing that the growing use of floating suction dredges by amateur prospectors during the 80's and may have been a motivating reason for the list to be used for it's current purpose - it was a convenient way to use existing regulation to protect a huge number of areas from the destruction caused by over-exuberant dredging.

Marked said:
The original gazette describes our much loved exemption list as "lands reserved for public use"...whether justified, or ungrounded, the banning of prospecting along rivers on the list is, by my reading, allowed by the original legislation, as permissible uses of the land is entirely at the discretion of the body given the responsibility of management of the land; in most cases the DEPI. I am guessing that the growing use of floating suction dredges by amateur prospectors during the 80's and may have been a motivating reason for the list to be used for it's current purpose - it was a convenient way to use existing regulation to protect a huge number of areas from the destruction caused by over-exuberant dredging.

Hi Marked,

I think your off the mark on the suction dredges issues. In fact suction dredges do less damage on all fronts. Cutter dredges are a completely different story. From what I understand and this comes from a variety sources, with some conflicts, so the best I can figure from is

1. Commenced compilation somewhere post WWII, as no government water management authority existed.

2. Was the result of complaints from farmers and down stream towns, loss of water sources, contamination by suspended loads, arid conditions,dwindling water levels. One or a combination of impacting factors.

3. Investment by companies in technologies of the time, hydraulic sluicing, cutter dredges, running mills and puddlers.

I think you ll find that the legislation was fitting at the time, to manage environment impact. However today technologies have advanced, so have the number of management agencies. I derive at the conclusion like with most legislation these embargoes placed, were at the time needed. Over time, methods have changed, management has changed, the list of contributing factors on the prospector now are 10 to the 6. Governments and legislation have a key trait, they rarely remove, look at the motor traffic laws, there are laws pertaining to horse drawn carriages and etc. legislation gets added to, but public servants rarely remove. So outdated is what I think we all agree.

Oh if you were to get an ML in one of these areas, if you extraction and processing methodology is approved by DPI, you can use it, so if you we're start a mine with a cutter dredge on the flood plains of the goulburn, with approved methods and environmental impact, it doesn t apply.

Go figure hey. On the suction dredge issue I have been to countries overseas, seen the high environmental impact dredging operations can have if un monitored, and too, I have seen the latest small suction dredges in action, they are more beneficial and less invasive then current approved methods.

Suction dredges work within the confines of the river Eco system, merely lifting bed & suspension loads from the river bed, and essentially redepositing them within a 10 m radius downstream. This action is essentially the natural course of justice for any such material within the Eco system. There are few visible signs of the work conducted, and the stream flow mechanics rehabilitates this quickly.

On the other hand, let's look at approved methods, high banking.Take a look at Oallen Ford, holes and piles everywhere. The only rehabilitation that happens here, is the 4wd and motorbikes slowly to some degree flatten these out. Look at holes left by detectors, mounds by dry blowers, the list goes on and on.

I will say that in small portable methods I do have all the offending equipment and use it too, I don t have a suction dredge, but would gladly if a change in legislation occurred buy one tomorrow.

Food for thought.

A lot of people blame dredging but i'm not convinced that's the problem, records show that commercial dredging was allowed to continue for many years after this list was utilized provided they implemented sediment ponds. In my opinion crushing quartz has had a much more damaging impact on the country as I've been to areas deep in the forest where crushing piles have completely wiped out any change of vegetation in that area. At the same time I've seen creeks completely dry and followed them upstream only to find a farmer has dammed and diverted it completely.

G0lddigg@ said:
A lot of people blame dredging but i'm not convinced that's the problem, records show that commercial dredging was allowed to continue for many years after this list was utilized provided they implemented sediment ponds. In my opinion crushing quartz has had a much more damaging impact on the country as I've been to areas deep in the forest where crushing piles have completely wiped out any change of vegetation in that area. At the same time I've seen creeks completely dry and followed them upstream only to find a farmer has dammed and diverted it completely.

These mate no one has an interest to revisit rewrite and change the legislation, till that happens we must wait

Village said:
1. Commenced compilation somewhere post WWII, as no government water management authority existed.

The original Gazette where the list was created is dated 1881...and as a "list of lands reserved for public use", was to prevent settlement along rivers in water catchment areas. At some stage in recent history "the list" has been re-appropriated for it's current use of exemption from prospecting altogether...

My suggestion of a possible reason is only a guess, given anecdotal evidence of locals in one area in particular of the amount of activity on their stream during the height of "hobby dredging" in the 80's, which is also their source of drinking water, and the fact that most of the streams on "the list" are also in water catchment areas, and that the legislation allows for the managing authority of said "lands reserved for public use" to decide and regulate completely what uses those lands are put.

As to how impactive dredging, or even manual excavation, is to the stream bed compared to natural flood action is debatable - and as is suggested by the literature, at minimum, is likely to be largely influenced by the area of the stream bed affected. No one can argue that dredges would allow a great deal more volume of material to be processed than the current limitations of manual excavation, surely?

Well Marked,

As I understand it, the prohibition on dredging arises from cutter dredging as this is not limited the water course boundary,in fact most of the time it is employed on the adjacent alluvial or delta plains to the water course. Which through mechanics will extrapolate into permanent changes to the environment, including topography.

Suction dredges of a small nature, say 10 hp are limited to the water course. There is no introduction of foreign changes to the ecological system, as the action is a duplication of natural stream mechanics, even the suspend load created, which is short lived.

Anyway it is only pipe dream that one day in evasive methods will be adopted. As far history goes, and why I think omitting minor conflicts we basically have a correlation of the macro probables for the reasons why.

Just would like clarification. Are we able to prospect in the Goulburn River. Exemption list is a little hazy. Howqua and Gaffney rivers are out of bounds.

Latest posts