Got a smoker but no recipes

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry don't have any recipes but I've been using apple wood for a while now and I reakon its the best so far . Beautiful flavour.has to be an old tree though.

Ah ok. thanks bjay .I know the different wood gives flavour but i'm sort of looking for basting stuff or marinate before you smoke it . Just give it that bit extra that impresses your mates haha

Kezz

Which Smoker did you get. ?
They should have bags of different types.
My advice,
Go Hickory first with a small rack of beef ribs and don't put too much wood chips in.
Even a few good chook pieces just to get the feel of things before you go at it hard.
Believe you me, It is worth it.
Oh, with Chook, Smoke it first skin down, Then turn it and burn again but do not add more wood dust.

KEZZ said:
Ah ok. thanks bjay .I know the different wood gives flavour but i'm sort of looking for basting stuff or marinate before you smoke it . Just give it that bit extra that impresses your mates haha

Kezz
I'm pretty sure there's a couple of members on here that do smoke stuff and use marinates etc KEZZ. Just a matter of them tuning into your request i reckon before you get some recipes. good luck

Exactly.
I use either Fountain teriyaki or just plain old Barbacue sauce.
Let it soak over night in the fridge first and then smoke her up.
That will give you some thing to expand on but nothing beats
fresh caught Trout and done after soaking in brine for 3 days.
:D :D

SCROUNGER said:
KEZZ said:

Kezz
I'm pretty sure there's a couple of members on here that do smoke stuff and use marinates etc KEZZ. Just a matter of them tuning into your request i reckon before you get some recipes. good luck

Bjay said:
Eels are one of the best I think but very overlooked nowadays.
I had too many of those bastards tangle me up and wreck my fishing lines in the old days Bjay to appreciate their finer eating points. Very oily aren't they?

Conger eels, Forget it. :rolleyes:
I just slobber over smoked blue eel.
When you do them, The oil in them just really Finnish's them off so nicely.
A night Eeling in the Bega River, Now that brings back a heck of a lot of memories.
Also at Kameruka. :D :D

thanks for the help guys.. I only have the small stainless smoker at the moment you get for bcf but i want to build my own smoker that is larger. I had a couple of goes at smoking and was ok but not great but i do know people in here would have secret recipes to tingle the taste buds

Kezz

That is all I have but I am going to use an old fridge next.
Or build another one out of a Beer Keg.
The Keg worked so well I gave it away. LOL

looks like im trying chicken haha .. Thanks Tathradj... Not sure about eels, love my fish but eels i would have to work my way up to that

Nothing wrong with the humble chook mate. LOL
Using Chook Pieces.
Just coat it with a bit of Barbi sauce and a small amount of black ground pepper.
Leave it in the fridge over night to soak.
Place the chook at one end of the smoker and the saw dust at the other end.
Skin Down and place the smoker over the flame at a slight angle to let the fat run away from the flame.
Only use about 1 table spoon full of wood shavings. Hickory as I said is a good starter.
Don't use too much saw dust as it will turn the chook sour.
When the flame goes out, Turn the chook over then half fill the burner again.
Watch out as the Metho will evaporate and be nasty to light.
Check the large pieces as they will take longer to cook.
I also put a brick on the lid as it will warp and let the smoke and heat out.

For fish, first off make a brine. Add the salt, mixing well, until a raw egg(or a spud) JUST floats in it. Then add some brown sugar, say a half cup for 4 litres. Soak the fish overnight. This is what we use for Yellow-belly. Maybe use less salt for saltwater fish(?).

Coolibah bark for smoking.

For jerky mix 4 parts tomato sauce, 2 parts(any) jam, or honey, 1 part soy, 1 part worcestershire. 1 part sweet chilli, or some chilli flakes(optional). You can cold smoke, dehyrate or sun-dry it.
I saw a recipe for making biltong(South African thick jerky) on the Self-sufficent culture website(Oz site) using coriander, but I haven't tried that one.

If you're using a BBQ with a lid wrap the bark/sawdust/woodchips in alfoil on the slotted grill-that will stop it burning, it'll just smoke up big time. Turn it on lowest setting just the burner under the foil package. And put the meat up on the warmer tray. This method can be used in a pot or camp oven too. Just heat it enough to get the parcel of sawdust smoking then move it out the heat a bit.
I reckon a smoker and cold smoked is better though.

Last time I cooked up some Australian Salmon fillets there was some room left so I chucked in a few cheap Coles sausages... YUM!

I add some 'Bush Spice' mix on the fish I cook after they've been in the brine overnight.

Cheers for the info Tim and i will be giving the jerky a go and see how it turns out. Also what is cold smoking?

Latest posts