Google Earth Coords Problems

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrisJoe

Joe
Reaction score
I'm having troubl inputting my maps coords into google earth.

I'm putting in the refs for the Clermont GPA's but it keeps sending me to the middle of Russia or Antartica 8)

Any help?
Or if anybody has the full coords of the 9 GPA's?

There are different standards of co-ordinates make sure you have your settings right. I have forgotten how to change it though sorry....

You can import from a gps coordinates go to tools> Gps> import from file.

Thats the best i can help you with but the differing standards cause most of the havoc.

Make sure you have selected the same co-ordinates under
tools -
options
Show Lat/Long
Decimal Degree
Degrees,Minutes,Seconds
Degrees,Decimal Minutes
Universal Transverse Mercator

The other thing is the use of S and E eg. (Melbourne 3748'50" S 14457'47.88 E) or Minus
before the Lat reading.

Hi BrisJoe,
One point worth mentioning here is to use UTM rather than Lat/Long; UTM uses the metric system which is a big advantage in terms of plotting on paper maps; you are working with metres rather than minutes degrees and seconds, much easier and less prone to errors.
Also make sure you are using the same datum as Google Earth; a miss-match here can put your position off by several hundred metres in some cases.
Just a couple of pointers we have found useful.
Cheers, SinHof.

I'm starting to think that the coords given on my maps are not the full numbers.

As most of Aus Lat's are the 146ish range, these are written as below..

1388446305_clermont_gpa.jpg

So I'm guessing that the coords given fall within the confines of a particular map compared to straight GPS coords?

Hi guys, the N is correct and does not indicate that it's northern hemisphere. Grid references are always given as easting and northing, hence E and N. You need to know the map grid they refer to in order to convert to Lat and Long. For example my home State of Tas is mostly grid 55 G 147, except for King island, half of which is in another grid cell. I use these to convert to Lat Long using an Excel spreadsheet called "Coordinate Converter" that I got off the web a couple of years back. Checking that you're using the correct datum is also important. A lot of printed Australian maps are AGD66, but the current standard is GDA94, which is practically the same as WGS84, and used pretty much by all GPS units. There is a difference of more or less 200m between them in Tassie, this might be different in other states. You can use a formula to convert between the two.

Thanks for the correction on N mfdes - I should have remembered that (brain is still on holidays). :)

BrisJoe said:
I'm starting to think that the coords given on my maps are not the full numbers.

As most of Aus Lat's are the 146ish range, these are written as below..

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/805/1388446305_clermont_gpa.jpg

So I'm guessing that the coords given fall within the confines of a particular map compared to straight GPS coords?

You are using UTM but you need to put in front of those numbers "the map zone" which is 55K

Load up GoogleEarth place a marker near where you want. Right click on it and left click properties and place 55K in the Zone and your numbers in the Easting and Northing and your Description.