gold vials

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never really had that problem...all my gold barely covers the bottom of one lol

Depends on what im doing really. I used to have a tackle box catalogue with all vials from different creeks and valleys fields etc. But when i wanted to buy a ring for the missus it all went into one blob. But absolutely i reccomend keeping it seperate. For me id have a look at my gold and say i might go get some of that chubky atuff today or maybe ill see if i can crack 2 grams of that fine stuff.

All comes down to how many areas you work i suppose. For me in the golden triangle i keep it separately especially detectables

jamie said:
will add if i was finding a bit in different spots i would keep separate, but the 12 or so fly poo specks i have just isn't worth having individual vials, one might not see them otherwise :(
AHHHH, that's what we need, magnifying vials :lol: :lol: I know i'd buy a few :)

I made that mistake and covered my first detected specimen in mercury when I put it in my snuffer bottle and forgot it, then panned a patch with a bit around. Now I have an extra snuffer with MERCURY written across it.

So true.. i did that last week to some gold i got from a new spot and i hadn't studied it yet and snuffed it into a bottle with contaminated gold. Its all shiny now no hope of catching a glimps of host rock

Minerals.net is a great website for reference as it has detailed information including safety info.
minerals.net/mineral/mercury.aspx
:)

Edit: I haven't yet hit 10 posts so can't post a link. The above reference however is the address just minus the 3 w's.

The old timers used a lot of it to separate the fine gold out of their pans so I guess they lost a bit in the creeks. Actually it is kinda cool to find mercury that was swishing around a pan 100 plus years ago. It's usually full of gold when you find it as well. But it's very toxic and should be handled with care.