Gold Prospecting Lease For Novice Fossickers Pegged By Yalgoo Shire

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a great move!! I remember some years ago Glenn Innes council closed some fossicking sites down causing angst (don't know if they re-opened). Yet they depend on tourists all year round just not at the annual scottish festivals etc.

Hi all. I have just joined and wondered if anyone can give advice on how to get started on Gold detecting. I am in uk but would love to detect Gold anywhere in the World. We have the machines just don't have the knowhow of how to get a lease (if needed) or if we can have a holiday somewhere.

G'day

I have been wondering for years why the councils of some of these small towns like Cue, Meekatharra, Mt Magnet and so on haven't taken out leases in the area for the exact same purpose as Yalgoo has, hats off to them, seemed to me that its a no brainer that it would be beneficial for tourism to have such a set up and would of course bring in much needed revenue for these slowly dying towns, in many places the lease holders, mining companies and pastoralists actively discourage people prospecting in the area and so of course they just move on and take there money with them.

Would be interested in the details, they are saying $10 for a map gives you access to the lease, but as yet don't know if that's for the day or the week or unlimited access for the duration of your stay, and also are there going to be other regulations on camping and would you have to stay in the caravan park and so on, many older hobby prospectors are just looking for a hassle free place to have a scratch about close by to towns and amenities and are not interested in remote areas, many people stay for the duration of the winter months in parks like Cue and just do day trips, a safe place to stay at night and everything close at hand.

cheers

stayyerAU

amandakeen said:
Hi all. I have just joined and wondered if anyone can give advice on how to get started on Gold detecting. I am in uk but would love to detect Gold anywhere in the World. We have the machines just don't have the knowhow of how to get a lease (if needed) or if we can have a holiday somewhere.

Gday

Many people come over here to holiday and have a go at prospecting, don't know what detectors you have but they would have to be suitable for our conditions or they will just drive you crazy trying to use them on our hot highly mineralised ground, you would have to research that area first, if you plan to prospect here you will have to get a "miners right" applicable to whatever state you are going to visit and get in touch with the appropriate mining office of that state to get a rundown on the rules and regulations (we love rules and regulations over here by the way :zzz: and are not very good at following them :mad: that's why we were sent here :cool: )

Leases take some time to acquire and can be costly, It would be best to have a prospecting holiday here and get a feel for it all, its not every ones cup of tea and you may find its a harsh place due to our climate, there are many goldfields towns that you can stay in and just do day trips out to detect, and also quite a few operators that you can go out with and detect in safety, many can hire you good detectors and provide transport and so on, might be the way to go first time round. :Y:

cheers

stayyerAU

The loddon shire in vic have done this (hard hill in weddeburn) they have the the jamboree for prospecters etc good on ya to ronda and the team, the camp spot provides toilets , showers ,drinking water ,and all for a small donation and you have access to one of the biggest gold feilds in Australia not only that your under day drive to the snow ,one of nices deserts in Australia one the longest rivers in the world the mighty murray river,dams all around you but good on yalgoo shire

travelergold said:
And do not forget, Marble bar have the common as well. Always gold found there. Nice little town with lots to see and do.
Yes TG plenty parked out there last month,great town thats quite active on the tourism front,they really welcome people to come and stay....

Damn good idea but it does have a few draw backs and I hope it doesn't backfire. This being a "P" and not a common, I'd imagine the shire has covered thier bums.

Insurance, possibly the reason a lot of councils don't go there, especially when you charge money for people to access it. Inevitably, some dick will injure themself and try and sue. People try and sue us for thier own stupidity while prospecting on our pastoral station.

Some people wont find gold. After a season or two of being hit hard, more and more people wont find gold. Soon enough word gets around don't bother going to Yalgoo...no gold there.

Again some wont find gold, so they stray further afield onto other peoples leases and become a headache for lease holders. Mind you, not much different to what goes on now but it could amplify the problem.

Latest posts