Gold in Northeast/Vic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi my wife and myself have just got the gold prospecting bug and love panning and sluicing and love that it's very peaceful and relaxing to do! Where not trying to find the mother load and would love to find some spots around north east vic. We've tried around Eldorado it's very fine and have found a few spec's,just wondering where about's to look in and out of the rivers or where else we should be looking as where only very new to this we don't know where to look. or what to look for to know that where in the right area. And is there anywhere else around our area that we could try??

Thanks for any help or advice as it's very much appreciated. Cheers

Hi dirtdiggin,

I don't actually know the NE Victoria area very well so I can't really comment on that, but here are a few links which might be helpful being fairly new to the hobby.

There are quite a few posts on Eldorado already so be sure to play around with the search function.

Cheers,
Nugget

Best book for info in that area I have found is 'Shallow gold occurrences of eastern Victoria' by Luke Steenhuis. Don't discount the Beechworth area too quick, I've panned a half ounce in a week there not too long ago ;) .

DD

Definitely stick with Reedy creek, Crevicing is key, plenty of yellow plus a wonderful place.

G'Day

I spent a week at Eldorado back in January and did very well from just crevicing. Met up with Balx while I was there. If you hunt around and clean out the crevices really well then there is plenty. Use a yabbie pump, a stiff brish like an engine cleaning brush and you will do well if someone else have not done it before you. Another good place is around Bright and up to Wandilligong. I got a very good book that is well worth reading - Gold in the North-East by Dr Brian Lloyd (ISBN 0 9750868 5 5) Histec Publications, 13 Connor Street, Brighton East, Victoria 3187.

Araluen

SWright said:
G'Day

I spent a week at Eldorado back in January and did very well from just crevicing. Met up with Balx while I was there. If you hunt around and clean out the crevices really well then there is plenty. Use a yabbie pump, a stiff brish like an engine cleaning brush and you will do well if someone else have not done it before you. Another good place is around Bright and up to Wandilligong. I got a very good book that is well worth reading - Gold in the North-East by Dr Brian Lloyd (ISBN 0 9750868 5 5) Histec Publications, 13 Connor Street, Brighton East, Victoria 3187.

Araluen

Hi S Wright

Thanks for the tips and help, I've tried Crevicing but perhaps as you said i might have been over where others had been before as we only got very very little or perhaps my technique is poor as this is a very new hobby but loving it all the same. Take care

dirtdiggin said:
Hi my wife and myself have just got the gold prospecting bug and love panning and sluicing and love that it's very peaceful and relaxing to do! Where not trying to find the mother load and would love to find some spots around north east vic. We've tried around Eldorado it's very fine and have found a few spec's,just wondering where about's to look in and out of the rivers or where else we should be looking as where only very new to this we don't know where to look. or what to look for to know that where in the right area. And is there anywhere else around our area that we could try??

Thanks for any help or advice as it's very much appreciated. Cheers

i got 49 specs in one pan using yabby pump and sive into pan,under the rock at reedy creek, also try slatey creek all flour gold though but a lot of fun

Latest posts