Gold in creeks in Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoKJP

Kris J. Parker
Reaction score
Okay, come December 1 I am starting a research project and want some feedback. I plan to visit several smaller creeks in North and North East Victoria looking for gold. My questions to you are as follows:

1. Do all creeks contain gold? (Even just than one speck every pan).
2. What are some of the tell tale signs that gold may be deposited?
3. How do you tell an old creek bed from the surrounding soil/sand?

Any guidance would be great! Thanks in advance.

Hey mate, best tool for finding gold now days isnt a shovel, Its the internet. Its as simple as typing and area followed by gold into google and all the info you will need is online. There is also plenty of links on the forum you can find that will help. little bit of research goes a long way, If the old timers didnt mine there then dont even bother. Goodluck. Balx

Have a look (google) at 'geovic'. You can do your own maps and there are gold, waterway and crown land overlays. You are heading into a bad time of the year with regards to water. North West (central Goldfields) is dried up - not sure bout the areas you are looking at though. Good luck

i second loamers advice mate geovic is your friend use layers like alluvial deposits, shallow workings, deep leeds etc working around areas with all of the above should present opportunity failing that sample and look for round Rocks in dry creeks

Here's a little bit of light reading in case you haven't already come across them.

There's heaps more great information floating around the forum, the search function is your friend ;)

G,day KJP
From reading your opening post and the geo part of your forum name, I assume, (rightly or wrongly) that you are studying earth sciences and the research project is part of your course.
In answer to the first question. No all creeks in victoria do not contain gold in "spec to the dish quantities"'. In fact many of the creeks in the N,east of vic,(that I have prospected) whose catchments contain known primary deposits and historical mines do not show much if any evidence of past alluvial mining. Nor have I been able to scare up more than the occasional colour in the pan from testing the surface gravels.

One thing to remember to is that gold can be in various quantities through the system. I know of creeks that have a little color but areas that a lead is exposed to it the gold is far more concentrated. Obvoisly the lead is feeding it. One thing I have noticed if u dont sample a creek from one location cause a lot can change within a short amount of area

GeoKJP said:
Okay, come December 1 I am starting a research project and want some feedback. I plan to visit several smaller creeks in North and North East Victoria looking for gold. My questions to you are as follows:

1. Do all creeks contain gold? (Even just than one speck every pan).
2. What are some of the tell tale signs that gold may be deposited?
3. How do you tell an old creek bed from the surrounding soil/sand?

Any guidance would be great! Thanks in advance.

G'Day there

Go look in your local geological librry and get hold of book titled "GOLD in the North-East" by Dr Brain Lloyd 2006. This concentrates on the old Beechworth Mining District - which actually included all of the North East from Rutherglen out to Corryong, down to Yea and Woods Point but not as far as Omeo. It is recent enough to have references to all sorts of more detailed info.

Araluen

My friends found a lot of nuggets in the river GoulBorn, I also decided to look there, did not find anything.

Hi All,

if you google "vicnames" and select the link 'VICNAMES - The Register of Geographic Names'
you will be taken to an Victorian website that will allow you to search road and river name in Victoria past and present.

The name of the river in question "GoulBorn River" is NOT on The Register of Geographic Names, however "Goulburn River" is on the register.

So if the corrected name is "Goulburn River" then this is on the Earth Resources Regulation List of exempted rivers and streams, so Garrison is in the clear.

https:// maps.land .vic .gov .au /lassi /VicnamesUI .jsp

keep finding the yellow....

Slackaboy said:
So if the corrected name is "Goulburn River" then this is on the Earth Resources Regulation List of exempted rivers and streams, so Garrison is in the clear.

Zombie thread, but just checking were on the same page, that exempted = no go?

ok,

I took it the wrong way.
The website uses word like Allowed, Banned and Prohibited, so Exempted rivers should be allowed.
They should change the work to Prohibited rivers then dumb asses like me won't get it wrong. 8.(

Latest posts