Gold growing in some eucalyptus trees?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm new to all this, and have read up on regolith, earthquakes, alluvial, elivial and so many other pieces of info on gold formation, but never knew it actually grows on some trees?! https://www.smh.com.au/environment/eucalypts-reveal-their-veins-of-gold-20131022-2vzm6.html

So I gotta ask those that have been around a while on the forum, what's the strangest/oddest place you never expected to find gold, but actually stumbled across some?

Phil

I saw something on the tele a while ago
A bloke was sweeping the cracks on the foot paths of New York with a dustpan and brush
Then panning off
Not sure if its real . I suspect just fluff for tv ... but possible i suppose

Phil8303 said:
Okay, so I'm new to all this, and have read up on regolith, earthquakes, alluvial, elivial and so many other pieces of info on gold formation, but never knew it actually grows on some trees?! https://www.smh.com.au/environment/eucalypts-reveal-their-veins-of-gold-20131022-2vzm6.html

So I gotta ask those that have been around a while on the forum, what's the strangest/oddest place you never expected to find gold, but actually stumbled across some?

Phil
Maybe someone should try panning koala shit :lol:
Dont laugh ... someone had to be the first to decide to make a cup of coffee from beans eaten then shit out by a possum ;)

Sandta said:
Phil8303 said:

Phil
Maybe someone should try panning koala shite :lol:
Dont laugh ... someone had to be the first to decide to make a cup of coffee from beans eaten then shite out by a possum ;)
the most expensive coffee in the world is picked out of shite in Indonesia.

Sandta said:
Phil8303 said:

Phil
Maybe someone should try panning koala shite :lol:
Dont laugh ... someone had to be the first to decide to make a cup of coffee from beans eaten then shite out by a possum ;)

:lol: I've been offered that coffee in Bali, but always gave it a miss.

I guess anything is possible; this asteroid near Mars has an estimated $700 quintillion of gold and other precious metals: https://www.discovery.com/space/there-s-gold-in-them-thar----asteroids-

I'll stick with the nearby riverbed for now.

Sandta said:
A bloke was sweeping the cracks on the foot paths of New York with a dustpan and brush
Then panning off

Definitely worthwhile in Kalgoorlie/Boulder, the streets are paved with gold.
The mine mullock was used for road base before the leach process was discovered. Millions of ounces of gold were later retrieved treating the many dumps around the state.

Phil8303 said:

Phil

The bit that interested me is the suggestion that this could be used to show whether there is gold in the soil in which the trees are growing. A new type of detector on its way maybe, but would likely cost a fortune?

Nightjar said:
Sandta said:
Then panning off

Definitely worthwhile in Kalgoorlie/Boulder, the streets are paved with gold.
The mine mullock was used for road base before the leach process was discovered. Millions of ounces of gold were later retrieved treating the many dumps around the state.

Interesting.

Pure speculation, as I am no engineer, but it makes me wonder if technology and processes will eventually catch up and a new approach will be used to take gold from the ocean, perhaps through the desalination plant in Perth?

You would likely get more gold out of the Poo treatment plants in Aus than gumtrees, just saying.

I did read that Termite mounds can yield gold, the ants move the stuff out of their way, bull-ants too.

Dont hold me to that though.

:)

PabloP said:
Phil8303 said:

Phil

The bit that interested me is the suggestion that this could be used to show whether there is gold in the soil in which the trees are growing. A new type of detector on its way maybe, but would likely cost a fortune?

It wouldn't surprise me if the technology is already being applied somewhere commercially. I'm still waiting for the SDC 2300 to come down a little in price. Probably me just being cheapskate. :lol:

This bloke is already mining gum leaves. Looks like he's been eating the profits though :playful:

:idea: Come to think of it, the crowns of most big old gum trees are too high to get to. Maybe you could get the same results from testing Koala poo?

:idea: :idea: In summer you could use a dry blower- All good until the :poop: hits the fan! :lol:

1629248420_koala.jpg

Greenhornet_au said:
You would likely get more gold out of the Poo treatment plants in Aus than gumtrees, just saying.

I did read that Termite mounds can yield gold, the ants move the stuff out of their way, bull-ants too.

There was a video on here (a few years back)
Not sure if it was moneybox or walnliz maybe
An ant moving a little bit out of its hole

Sandta said:
Greenhornet_au said:

Now that I would love to see, if anyone has it?!

Sandta said:

Haven't seen a video but can say I never walk past an ant hill without waving the detector over it.
Have found small gold in the mounds.
**And I replace the dirt back, what I dug in seconds probably took the ants weeks.**

1629277548_ants_and_man_in_the_search_for_gold_4.jpg

Nightjar said:
Sandta said:

Haven't seen a video but can say I never walk past an ant hill without waving the detector over it.
**And I replace the dirt back, what I dug in seconds probably took the ants weeks.**

That's interesting. Has anyone else had the same experience? I ask because there's a spot that I know near some old diggings that I was interested in checking, and it has a heap of ants nests all over it.

Phil8303 said:
Nightjar said:
Sandta said:

That's interesting. Has anyone else had the same experience? I ask because there's a spot that I know near some old diggings that I was interested in checking, and it has a heap of ants nests all over it.

Around here Ive lost count of the times Ive heard others say no point in ant mounds.

Maybe due to the ironstone I never had any luck whatsoever with the gp and gpx models but quite a few with the sdc and also one with the GM.

If they are in a recognised zone and can avoid injury its worth a swing imo.

OldGT said:
Phil8303 said:
Nightjar said:
Sandta said:

Around here Ive lost count of the times Ive heard others say no point in ant mounds.

Maybe due to the ironstone I never had any luck whatsoever with the gp and gpx models but quite a few with the sdc and also one with the GM.

Cheers OldGT. :Y:

OldGT said:

Can assure you they bring gold to the surface, there is no fear of injury from these ants.

1629287070_ants_and_man_in_the_search_for_gold_5.jpg

I think they use gold in the mound because they want something with high specific gravity so the rain doesnt wash they're nests away when it comes. Just a theory.

Latest posts