Gold bearing quartz

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, my map overlays but not identically and when you zoom in it moves around. I think I am going to have to go ahead and just buy it for the $60 to make it easier.

So true with the four wheeler and samples :) my husband was worried about me when came to upright it for me whilst I was running down the hill after samples in 35 degree heat :lol:

The front of my place now looks like a rock farm! I have to take back all the old samples since I have found better ones since. I think I should also do a mini map of the area in the back yard and place the rocks in correspondence to where I got them from to make it easier for me. :cool:

Hi Guy's
Assaying will cost you big $$$$$ as a prospecting tool, what you need to do is think like an old timer.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1514

the best thing is to use the pan to tell you if you have "Gold" under your feet & then use it to track down where it may be coming from, the Gold you get in your pan is not just "Gold" it bears a huge amount of information as to where how & why, there is no rushing this process to find gold.

Also have a look at this link it will give you information for the testing of a number of elements,
http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=10932
cheers
Lee

As for making a dolly pot.
Go to the scrap metal joints.
I made one out of a 120mm bolard and a bit of 10mm plate steel
If you dont have a welder the base of the bolard should have a flange to be bolted down to the footpath
Just bolt to to the plate
Worked for me.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Kane.

ALS in Orange will assay samples. Find out if your property is under a exploration lease and approach the company that has the lease for assay costs - both parties benefit. I used to see a fair bit of free gold come up in drilling samples but then a geo said that this was uncommon and that many geo's would go their whole career and not see any as its locked up microscopically with sulphides, obviously dependant on location/geological setting.

Hi Paydirt,

You mean someone can have a lease on my place without me knowing it???

How do I check that out?

Of course, you only own the surface. Department of Mines or equivalent.
Midnight pegging was always exciting.

If you go to dubyadubyadubyadotresources.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/363544/A-Guide-to-Fossicking-in-New-South-Wales.PDF - info for NSW

Thanks Beagleboy and everyone. Got the husband to make this - can stand on either side to hold it down, works well :D

1392614017_img_4945web.jpg

So much crushing to do........

If I find fine gold is it more probable there will be alluvial gold? I presume so but I also presume I would need to find a 'deeper' rock/area as it may have washed down hill, and to detect the hillside and any flats on that hillside.

Then again I bet it's just patience and time and testing......

Merry

Hi Merry,
Just got back home from a weekend at my place, I found another vein that has been dug into before with broken rocks lying around.
It looks interesting, most of the rocks have yellow colouring in them, so guess what?

I have more rocks to add to my collection to crush, lol,
I've marked out all my veins on the map so I won't get confused.
I think this might take a while :)

Hello Merry,
Just wondering how small do you get your rocks down to before you put them in the crusher?

I'm thinking of getting one for myself.
:)

Galena said:
Wow 1000 acres is huge, be carefully out there with the four wheeler.
Lol I'm the same, I carry as much as I can in two buckets down gully's in goat country and frequently land on my back side with all the samples going every where,
I might take less samples next time,

This reminds of some advice given to me to always detect old tracks from the golden gullies back to camp sites. You guys were not he first to go belly up and I have heard stories/poems of candle lit trails winding up from the gullies like snakes, add a bottle of rum into the equation and there might be more gold on the sides of tracks than there is left in some gullies.

Same theory goes for rattling horse led carts, heavies tend to roll off and work through gaps in the carts.

Can't say I have found anything on the side of a track that proves there's volume in chasing old tracks, but thanks for replanting the thought.

Hey Wally69, thank you for the tip, must go check out the tracks :)

Galena, I get them to be able to fit in the pipe and just crush away. It takes awhile to get it ground to 'powder' for panning. The thing is I have to crush all of it to make sure I don't miss anything. But I keep stopping midway to pull out the smaller smashed rock to look for trace minerals etc.

Great stomach work out too!

But I am looking for a testing kit as gold ore can be invisible to the naked eye. I am also going to get a proper magnifying glass. :)

Follow the black streak if there is one, it will be a carbon deposit which was an indicator the old timers used. Rose quartz also indicates there was enough heat and steam to push the gold into these veins. If you come across a mix of ironstone and quartz this also suggests there is a good chance a gold bearing reef is near by. Hope this helps

Hi Merry,

Thanks ,I'm getting me one of those pots as well. The gold test kits is a good idea. With all those colours there's a good chance of gold ore. :)

Golddredge, many of my rocks have black streaks as well as rose colours I'm them.
Can't wait to get down deeper into the veins.

Thanks

Galena, have a look at this post, I think I posted a link that covers some basics in sampling. Even if you find micro gold in your samples you need to calculate if it will be worthwhile to mine.

Honestly if I were to only find micro gold in a sample which was visible under magnification I would probably give it a miss, there would have to be heaps of it to make it economical for me to mine as a small scale miner.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4547

merryeclipse said:
Hi Galena,

I have a similar issue. I believe you don't crush them up before sending them off but send them of in rock form to ensure they can trace the correct minerals and amount in the rock. And ensure the rock is large enough size for more precise results.

I am trying to find out where and how much the assaying will cost.

I have several different types of rock I would like to get assayed.

How are you crushing them?

I am still needing to find an easier way - I tried with sledge hammer in a soft plastic container but most of the shiny stuff gets stuck to the bottom of the soft plastic bucket :(

Merry

Onsite Laboratory Services in Bendigo does assay work. I worked for them a number of years back.
Best if the sample is of a reasonable size, kilo or so. It can be anything from soil to solid rock. The sample is pulverised to a talcum powder like consistency, at the laboratory, and a precisely weighed portion of the sample
is taken, mixed with a lead monoxide flux, and run through a furnace. After firing, and muffling, the resultant prill is acid dissolved and run through an atomic analyser. The result from that process will give you a very accurate
record of the elements contained within your sample, all the way down to parts per billion.

Hi Prospecter B,

I had a look at that link, it was really informative, most of my rocks have that yellow staining but no visible gold.
I'm not going to bother looking for microscopic gold as its too much trouble.Better to be like the old timers and go for the visible bits if your're a one man operation.
Thanks for the info