Gold around Monbulk?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day Harlequin, been a long time since I used to knock around that area, but yes gold was found thereabouts although there was no big rush to my knowledge. I'm sure some of the other members might have a bit more info, otherwise talk to Mr Google and see what he knows. Cheers

Just be aware no prospecting in the Yarra Ranges , heavy fines if caught :-(

Gravity said:
are you sure of this, I've been prospecting the yarra rangers for years
if so there will be a few guys that might have to think of a new area.

Yes there was some gold found around Monbulk.
for one, it was very patchy, and 2 so much overburden. I can't say I'm a fan of digging down 2m just to find a few specks

Sandta said:
Harlequin said:
We have recently moved to Monbulk and it would seem gold has been found here in the past. Does anyone know anything about prospecting the area?

6 posts in three years ??? :rolleyes:

You say it best when you say nothing at all ?

Concerning prospecting in the Yarra Ranges - I've been in touch with Earth Resources GEOVIC and the final word is that you can prospect in the Yarra Ranges except in designated parks. The usual restrictions apply.

Harlequin

BoydWilliam said:
Gravity said:
Crap

Below is a letter of correspondence in reference to the Lake Eildon zones & permissions, The Yarra Ranges are not mentioned here but I will follow up with Parks Vic to hopefully find out what is true or false

24 June 2015 07:45 pm
Thought to post my research to benefit us all please see my correspondence with Parks Victoria.
I would also like to acknowledge DetectaDaves comments to be trueHowever we can go into the light green areas as seen on the map see link Lake Eildon down the page. Also see my comments on zone 3 , I for one would be more than happy to stay out of there and looking at the map other spots look far more interesting and have the all clear.
Like I said this information will befit all those who were in doubt as was I.
email to Parks Vic
-- Comment --
Hi there, I would just like to clear up something that I believed to be true, I am a metal detector prospector and was hoping that you could shed light on my topic I have read that Lake Eildon was given a green light in a newly opened zone 3 for prospecting. Please clarify is this true or false as I do not wish to break any laws. Thank you and await your feedback in anticipation.
Kind Regards John.
On 24/06/2015, at 9:49 AM, Parks Victoria wrote:
Good morning John,
I just have spoken to the Area Chief Ranger and Team Leader at Lake Eildon National Park who have informed me that prospecting and fossicking is not permitted within Lake Eildon National Park.
They did mention that areas around Lake Eildon that do not fall within the boundaries of the National Park (i.e. State Forests and on private property with owners permission) allow fossicking.
Are you able to provide any further information as to where you found this information?
Kind regards,
Billy Urquhart
Customer Service Officer
Information Centre
Parks Victoria
T: 13 1963 I E: [email protected]
Level 10, 535 Bourke Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
www.parks.vic.gov.au
Hi Billy and thank you for you reply, please see the link below as printed in the paper...The 2nd link on page two shows Lake Eildon Zone 3 the one in question.
I look forward to your feedback
Kind regards
John
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/conse 31ziq.html
http://www.veac.vic.gov.au/documents/VE ps_B-G.pdf
Hi John,
The Area Chief Ranger has referred me to the Victorian Environmental Assessment Councils (VEAC) Investigation into Additional Prospecting Areas in Parks where the council recommended
(a) That recreational prospecting* be allowed in the eight areas listed below
1 Yankee Creek, Lerderderg State Park
2 Morning Star, Lerderderg State Park
3 Jerusalem Creek, Lake Eildon National Park
4 Howqua Hills South, Alpine National Park
5 Howqua Hills East, Alpine National Park
6 Howittville, Alpine National Park
7 Wombat PO, Alpine National Park
8 Eustaces, Alpine National Park;

The Victorian Governments supports this recommendation in principle; however, Recreational prospecting will be permitted, once the necessary amendments to the National Parks Act 1975 are made, in the eight areas recommended by VEAC in R1 (a).

The Vic National Parks Act 1975 (http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/ ) states:
32D Authorities to search for minerals in certain parks
Notwithstanding anything contained in this or any other Act, the Minister may by notice in the Government Gazette designate the area or areas in
(a) the parks described in any of the following
(i) Part 30, 41, 42 or 43 of Schedule Two;
(ii) Part 15, 26, 31, 36 or 38 of Schedule Two B;
(iii) Part 1 or 13 of Schedule Three;
(iv) Part 8 of Schedule Four
in which searching for minerals under a miner's right or tourist fossicking authority will be permitted;
(b) the parks described in any of the following
(i) Part 31 of Schedule Two;
(ii) Part 15 or 30 of Schedule Two B;
(iii) Part 15 of Schedule Three
in which searching for gemstones under a miner's right or tourist fossicking authority will be permitted;
None of the areas mentioned above refer to Lake Eildon national Park. The latest Victorian Government Gazette (http://www.gazette.vic.gov.au/gazette/Gazettes2014/GG2014G006.pdf#page=39 )

I will definitely follow up in reference to the Yarra Ranges restrictions, will post there response as soon as I get one.

AtomRat said:
Not related to yarra valley in eildon

Thats why I quoted on the very top of the pageBelow is a letter of correspondence in reference to the Lake Eildon zones & permissions, The Yarra Ranges are not mentioned here but I will follow up with Parks Vic to hopefully find out what is true or false

If everyone is going to bust my balls over this then I really can't be bothered anymore, thought we were all in it together :-(

Gravity said:

......... that would be true for the Yarra Ranges National Park, the Yarra River itself and Melbourne Water Storage catchments otherwise there is enough State Forest up there to keep an avid recreational prospector busy for many years.

[edit] ooops! we have cross posted - i just clarifing not busting balls... ;)

onebob

Gravity said:
AtomRat said:
Not related to yarra valley in eildon

Thats why I quoted on the very top of the pageBelow is a letter of correspondence in reference to the Lake Eildon zones & permissions, The Yarra Ranges are not mentioned here but I will follow up with Parks Vic to hopefully find out what is true or false

If everyone is going to bust my balls over this then I really can't be bothered anymore, thought we were all in it together :-(

I have been following with interest - I much prefer facts like you have been presenting and providing the answers to questions we want to know rather than just guessing and trying to translate government speak to ..you know...regular speak :) Keep it up.

Gravity, I know the rules, regulations and which creeks can or cannot be accessed. Its my choice to not give out the information. I even have permission for access where others certainly do not with special circumstances. I'm all for you doing your own research on it, and all I'm saying is that you can dig, as long as you are in the right area, and correctly obey the rules like filling holes.

Certainly not bustin ur balls mate, I just didn't agree with your first comment about 'no prospecting'

If the Great National Park Scheme goes through... were all screwed regardless - but being a member of a gemclub may give us some leeway.. I'm still seeking answers on that

No probs AtomRat, still haven't heard back from Billy Parks Vicfor me I just want to be clear where I can and can't go in the Ranges and share the info with others
Theres so much speculation about what we can and can't do enough to do your head in. Still would like to catch up with you as your not to far away from me, got Marybourgh GT booked for 2 days Grand Final weekend with a few boys so should be fun gold or not.

Anyway as soon as I know more will post the answers.
Cheers :)

Latest posts