Gold and Ghosts

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All

Just curious to how many of you have read/referenced "Gold and Ghosts" in particular Vol 1&2 I was curious seeing they have been out for such a long time now. Is the information dated and not really relevant, or would you think any areas that have been shown now have been flogged to death ? Also is the cost fair and do you feel these will increase with age or just become cheaper as other resources become available.

I am looking at Vol 1&2 but just not sure if it is a good decision at the moment, especially as there are other things that the funds should be prioritized to. Keen to hear peoples thoughts and opinions.

Cheers

WA

I got all of them. Worth there weight in gold. I have found many oz's in spots mentioned in those books. The areas mentioned are too vast to have been thoroughly detected and we still always find nuggets when we go back to the spots.

DD

Thanks DD that is great to know, I always feel you can not have too much reference material. In saying that sometimes I am guilty of analysis paralysis :) Way tooo much information.

Anyone else care to share, comment on ?

As you're from that area you'll find that a few of the Qld libraries have copies, unlike most Vic libraries (bugger). I'd be hitting them and firing up their photocopier over a couple of nights.
Don't own a copy but have a look at Vol 1, apart from seeming to name hundreds of locations it gives some very basic info on how to attack detecting say a mullock heap .... real simple but for a novice like me priceless (probably common sense but ???).
Attack the library, can't go wrong,
Tom

My older bro keeps telling me to get a copy... as he said Dittmer is really no good for a machine, pan and crevising tools best. Different story as I may get into Happy Valley or Andromache (Mt Hector). Thinking of trying those places soon XIV. Are you interested, as I have the SD in my possession, my learning curve begins am considering buying a newer machine too, like the Garretts.

Teemore said:
As you're from that area you'll find that a few of the Qld libraries have copies, unlike most Vic libraries (bugger). I'd be hitting them and firing up their photocopier over a couple of nights.
Don't own a copy but have a look at Vol 1, apart from seeming to name hundreds of locations it gives some very basic info on how to attack detecting say a mullock heap .... real simple but for a novice like me priceless (probably common sense but ???).
Attack the library, can't go wrong,
Tom

Just found both central and northern editions on local library catalogue! Thank you very much!
Awesome tip!

See Gold & Ghosts Vol 3 is for sale on ebay, another one Vol 3 also sold the other day for $270 today a couple of bidders are up to $330 must be kicking themselves for not picking up the previous one.
Volume 4 at around 600 pages is the scarce on, Vol. 3 seems a bit more common, Volumes 1 & 2 seem to top out at around $350 - $400 although some hang around (unsold) at the $700 mark.
My tip .... visit your library.
Cheers Tom

Teemore said:
See Gold & Ghosts Vol 3 is for sale on ebay, another one Vol 3 also sold the other day for $270 today a couple of bidders are up to $330 must be kicking themselves for not picking up the previous one.
Volume 4 at around 600 pages is the scarce on, Vol. 3 seems a bit more common, Volumes 1 & 2 seem to top out at around $350 - $400 although some hang around (unsold) at the $700 mark.
My tip .... visit your library.
Cheers Tom
I've seen Vol's 1&2 sell for more than 700 bucks each, also In WA you can read them at the state library, there are also other copies In varies libraries, but you can' take them out,

They certainly are considered the bibles of Gold. The chap that wrote them by all account is quite a mysterious man. The mob that printed them Hesperian Press in Perth gets calls daily about them and (Peter) goes off if you mention them. Quite a big fall out I believe happened there.
I have 1&2 and have traipsed around WA following the pages advice and rough maps. Mostly I found the areas changed, mined, fenced or simply hard to follow in a lot of cases as the changes in the 20 plus years since they were written are many and obvious. It is however good reading and helpful as to what happened and where was what etc. Are they worth big bucks ? Probably not but if you are addicted like most of us then they are a must have !!! :)

Hi all .....

Just noticed this thread in my nightly browsing :

I currently have Volume 4 of David de Havelland's book for sale.
It has not yet been advertised anywhere as this is just a 'spur of the moment' decision.

It is in great condition, hard cover, NO missing, torn or dirty pages, some very minor and
discreet high-lighted track on very few maps, a clean and well cared for volume.
Am happy to send photo's, of course, .... just ask.

I have used it extensively as a area guide, living in Cairns/Weipa for twenty years and forayed out
to many north-western goldfields. The volume was never used 'in the field.'

As I am now in my seventy-five years of age area and my Troopy is in it's twenty-second year,
one (or both!) of us will soon need "major body maintenance" ......
so I wish to sell to help fund the next few years of diesel and pills ..................

I am looking at offers of $700 plus and will include FREE Express Post anywhere in Australia.
The FIRST buyer over $750 will also receive a bonus copy of Ion L Idriess' classic "Prospecting for Gold."

I am currently living on the Sunshine Coast (Caloundra) so inspection and COD on pick-up is welcome.

As I said, this is a spur of the moment decision so get in quick if you are interested -
I know that Volume 4 is rarely on the market .... it will go on eBay if not sold here.

Regards Pedro

Hi All,
I have all 4 of Dehavilands books in pristine condition and if anyone wants to pay a visit I'll let them c%$y whichever parts they want, I also have a government journal of where and how much gold was found at what mine on the Palmer during the 1800's.

Cheers
Goldslave