Gold and Ghosts Volume 1 (WA) Western Australia

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed80

Eddie Cross
Reaction score
I have been reading gold and ghost vol 1.,What a great read,although many of the areas mentioned have been hammered,you can imagine what it would have been like to find a virgin area, picking up nuggets weighing ounces not grams.This may be old hat but it sure fires me up to want to get back out there.Areas mentioned,a few i have been too not knowing there history,now the picture is complete.

yeah, i agree mate, i got vol 1,2 and 3, and although iv never been or probably ever will go to 90% of the places, its bloody good reading.

Sheets me to tears to see places in Vol 1 I used to spend months working for exploration companies and never thought about chasing the alluival

I have read Volumes 1& 2, although I have no intention of going prospecting & I have to agree they are great reading.

Having read all 4, plus his Tour of Georgetown, a few times over, their really isn't any other books like them IMHO. Even though like mentioned the locations have been hammered and are of little use, it does provide quick reference to what area's did what and is a starting point. :)

I might add the places we visited over a three week period,produced 6oz the best lump was a two and a half oz speci which i still have,once i get back to Perth i will try and post pictures,price of gold then was around 300 and something an oz.

Don't know about the demand,but the going rate is quite high.do not own these volumes just borrowed from a mate.

I'm really shocked no one has scanned this and put them online.
Or the copyright holder re-printing them.

That's a lot of money for a book.

Its a long story but anyone copies them and sells them for money will be pursued, and the original writer has no intention of re printing, im not sure what happened but left him a bitter man as you can see he put his heart and soul into these books

1400736039_20140522_133910-1.jpg
In earlier post i mentioned when i get back to Perth i would try and post pictures of my first trip to the gold fields.This is a sample of the yellow stuff we found.

Yeah!

Rumour has it that all volumes were in fact scanned and made available on ebay but the offenders were pursued and sued heavily.

Rumour also has it that the family has retained a large number of copies which apparently will never be released.

The back story in itself must be a very interesting read, just to find out what lead to all of this........... I know, I'm nosey ;)

Cheers

I know where copies Vol 1 to 4 are, In fact there is 2x Vol 1 and 2, plus 1x Vol 3 and 4. I have never actually read them either.

Bazz said:
I hate to ask.......but are they for sale??

To be completely honest Bazz I never realised the value of them until this thread started. Its crazy to think how much they are selling for. These ones aren't for sale, they're not actually in my possession.

Well not until tomorrow that is. First thing tomorrow morning I am going to pic them up. Lol

Hi Guys and Gals

I heard some serious comments about these books . I'm particulary interested in Volume 1 . Has any here read it or own Volume 1. Is it worth the high price people are asking

Has anyone here gone to WA with this book and used it as a guide . If so, how accurate was it? Would be great here some replys from people who have actually done this . Plus anyone here have one for sale ?

Thanks for advice in advance

Cheers

Pete

yes,they are a well known set of books, now out of print. very long story about why,but suffice to say the copyright is very well controlled by the family. they are good reads and there are numerous posts about the series. as to value for $ - that's a good question. Some users say yes,some say no, majority would be yes. very hard to get at libraries -most have been knicked. FYI- he never did a Victorian series.

about $400 - 500 at the moment I have noted on Gumtree for Vol 1. couple of grams and the book has paid for itself. now, the real expense is getting to WA! now you are talking ounces. :)

I have read them both & they are very informative, the feedback I have read from people who have used them to prospect, is that the areas referenced have been thrashed to death, but as you know, no area can be totally cleaned out.