GoFundMe

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I have.
Wife's dog snapped her ACL.
Was going to cost $3000 for the surgery.
Went to another vet who said they could do it for $1800. Still a lot to fork out at the time.
Wife put a thing up on gofundme and razed $1000 in 11 days.
I payed the extra 800.
Point is, we didn't have all the money for the surgery and it helped out .
So yes it worked for us. And we are greatfull for everyone that donated to help us out.
Cheers Kane

XIV said:
Yes I have.
Wife's dog snapped her ACL.
Was going to cost $3000 for the surgery.
Went to another vet who said they could do it for $1800. Still a lot to fork out at the time.
Wife put a thing up on gofundme and razed $1000 in 11 days.
I payed the extra 800.
Point is, we didn't have all the money for the surgery and it helped out .
So yes it worked for us. And we are greatfull for everyone that donated to help us out.
Cheers Kane

thanx mate.

I am thinking about doing a campaign because of my current situation. just wanted some reviews from anyone who has used it

Yeah I've donated on GoFundMe. Good way to give to a cause without wasting your money on some more inefficient charities

This never sits right with me, asking other people to pay for your less important expenses. Yes, a child needing surgery, or equipment for a sick, or disabled person. But its a pet.....I love my dog, but I would never ask for anyone to pay for its healthcare, because pets are not a necessity. With the level of healthcare we are offered/expected to give them....they have become luxury items. I would hope, that the vet be open to give you a payment plan. Just my opinion.

Go for it as long as its legit, but being a poor me don't sit right, whats the cause? because i can tell you that there are 7. something billion people on the planet and there are hell of a lot of them far worse off than any individual living here in oz :cool:

Here we go .....How dare anyone ask for help..........Then when someone gets in a situation they cant handle everyone says "why didn't they ask for help?"

Everyones personal situation is unique..
There is always going to be someone worse off.....so what.
Help who you can and dont chastise people for asking for help......who is it hurting to ask for help?

here here lc76, now can anyone help me pay for a good pi machine? lol somethings you cant afford so i will just hope i can sell something to pay for said detector,haha

To you LC my answers my friend and i aint going to explain my situation too you! and yeah we are doing it tough!!!

"why didn't they ask for help?" Pride and self worth is one of many answers!, and making it your own way no matter how hard it is!

"Everyone's personal situation is unique", including mine and my wife's and many others, and we are not going to look for an easy way out or a short cut that makes one person feel warm and fuzzy about helping someone who really didnt need it except for an easy way out or feeling sorry for themselves!!!

"who is it hurting to ask for help?" Only the person asking for it as it may be the easy way out, and they may take it for granted and expect it all the time!!!

There is my answers to your post, no one chastised anyone at all just stated their own moral thoughts on the subject and asked what it was for, because if its a buisness proposition or for gain i'm sure there are people out there that would invest for personal gain.

So yeah here we GO!!!

the alternative not mentioned is those who ask for help may in turn pay it forward (great movie too btw). Empathy is not entirely inherent and something that we learn. Personally I'd have to let go of too much pride to ask for help. GofundMe has opened my eyes to some worthy causes though. The guy asking for money to upgrade his xbox isn't going to get my vote mind you.

I guess it depends on the situation and exactly just how bad things have gotten, but doesnt make alot of sense losing your house (example) purely for the sake of pride, if u need help u need help doesnt make u any less of a person asking for it. I bet alot of the farmers recently 'wished' they didnt need the help and some probably were reluctant to ask for any but im damn well sure they were glad they got it.

my current situation is

I have been in the underground mining industry for the last 10 years and the last 6 was for the one company.
on march 6th last year my crew ( b crew) and the crew opposite (a crew) played a game of rugby league for a fundraiser for a person in management to climb some mountain.
now there this had everything to do with work but the only thing that wasn't was that it wasn't played on work premises.
I lasted about 15 minutes of this game and I got tackled by 2 blokes and just happened to brake both tib and fib bones in my right leg just below my knee. they were clean breaks. and also I did quite a lot of damage to my knee. 2 weeks in hospital and 3 operations later I finally got to go home.
it took 6 weeks of not being able to walk and then 4 months of rehab until I was told I still wasn't able to go back to work. now because the people I worked for said it was technically wasn't a work function I couldn't get workers comp and I even had a solicitor on the case and even he couldn't prove it. I had to use all my sick pay and annual leave. after using up all my hours I had no choice but to resign. ( now bing with them for so long I thought they could at leasthelp me out. but I was wrong)
it now 10 months on and I still haven't been able to return to work and I have a mortage, a family to look after and no money coming in and I hate asking for help. im not one of those people.
I am up for my 4th operation next month which will c me out of action again for at least another 4 months.
I have tried all my options, Centrelink, insurance, portion of super, I have even been getting help from my family.
but I wanted to try gofundme for abit extra help and to take some stress off family for helping out constantly.

going from a bloody good paying job to nothing has been really hard and my marriage nearly breaking a couple of times.
now im not here for people to feel sorry for me and I don't want this to sound like a big sob story.
I just wanted opinions from people to find out if I should go ahead.

I didn't mean to cause trouble with everyone by posting this.

if u want to find out all the details plz send me a message.

as I said I hate asking for help but im at the stage where I might have to stick my hand up.

Mate if you need help dont ever be afraid to ask for it.

Some people claim its pride ect....but most are just scared of what other people will think of them.

The dumb thing to do would be to have so much pride that you not only hurt yourself but your family too....why should they suffer for your pride?
So if ya need help ...ask.
And good luck mate i hope those who can help you ..do...theres no shame in asking.

I don't know what mine your at but have you contacted the union? It's fairly common practice in these sorts of circumstances for them to pass the hat around your workmates (or former) & where I've worked the blokes have been very generous. One bloke at work used to donate an overtime shift every week to a workmate who has an ongoing illness & missed up to 6 months of work last year.
Also if you have Doctors Certification of an illness or injury you shouldn't have been forced to retire once your paid leave finished. They should have put you on unpaid leave for the duration of any Doctors Certificates & I think that can go for up to 12 months depending on your EA (3 months only if on the lowest agreement or Fairwork rules) then at the discretion of the company. If they were fair dinkum they should be looking after you & at least trying to assist you back to work not shutting the door on you. Doesn't sound like a good company?
You don't mention Long Service Leave either - have you checked that out?

I broke both bones below the knee in 3 places in 1998 [not at work] and it was 13 months before I could go back to work.
We approached the bank and 'froze' house payments for a year.
All other utilities and schools came up with alternatives when approached.
You can also gain early access to your super under hardship.
I had for foresight to have income protection, but it was capped at 1k a week so we coped.
Approach your creditors and inform them of your situation and they will try to help.
If you don't communicate they will treat you as a non payer.

Sounds like you need a good lawyer.

If you hurt yourself at a work event, you will be covered.

But never hurts to ask for help. Just remember to pay it forward.
Help someone else out when you have the available money.