GISRoam

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After seeing a few posts about GISRoam and getting a few questions from a few people I thought id start a thread :D
Firstly iam not an expert but have managed to mostly figure out how to use GISRoam for NSW.
I use GISRoam to help with digital mapping whilst out and about and as a researching tool.
The map types that it uses are: a standard road map with minimal colour/detail, a satellite map similar to google earth or a hybrid of both. All of these you can zoom in and out (to a certain point) and also overlay raster (images like maps) or shapefiles (dots and shapes to represent things).

Here is the hybrid map with some shapefiles representing mines.

If I select one of the points I can access further information(depending on what is available).

This shows a metallogenic map overlayed as a raster.

So long as you store the satellite pic you need before you go out of mobile coverage its fine as the GPS does not require mobile coverage. The raster and shape files are still available without coverage. Mind I have only been out of mobile coverage for a day or two at most so I do not know how long it will sore the satellite image.

It is a great APP. I've started using it for my job with farmers as well.

Where do you source your raster files Shivan?

No you don't need the Pro version. You need the in app purchase of local connect to be able to transfer files. If you click on the ? in GISRoam there is a local connect tutorial which gives instructions on how to get the files from your computer to your iPad.
For your google earth files that you mention in your other post, upload them to your google account in google earth on your pc. Then download the google earth app, once you load the app you can turn on layers that you have uploaded earlier.

DD

This is awesome. I wish I had heard of this before. So much better that trying to jump from map to map to work out where try.

Greg

Can anyone help me out by sending me files that work with GISRoam please ?

The files i converted will not work with GISRoam in my Ipad mini , i gave up 2 months ago but now i have cooled down a bit i am going to give it another try

I am guessing the issue is the conversion process / file type i ended up with

NSW and W.A maps that show crown land , existing / past mining or exploration leases and metallogenic map data would be great if possible

I am hoping if i use maps that you guys have already converted properly then they will work in my IPad too

thanks people

The files I have are way too big to email etc. Most are over 100mb. I will be back over the east coast in a few weeks, might be able to catch up at Tuena or somewhere like that to transfer them to you. Shivan may be able to help out earlier.

DD

I will see if i can get the files on a flash drive....... no idea if i will be able to or not. If not i will have a go at converting some new files and see if i have any problems and get back to you.

I think I need to get some serious lessons from you guys, I"m still trying to learn how to use my Garmin etrex 30 lol

who is still using GISRoam ?

any thoughts on making a sticky post with maps for each state that we can download once converted into the right format ?

i cant get mine to work but will be deleting the app and reinstalling from scratch 'when i get time away from the diggings'

GISRoam is now unsupported and discontinued i believe, but the same company have brought another app out. I have installed it but not looked at it yet. GISRoam still works on my older iphone but not my iapd since an IOS update a while ago. Have to do a GIS course at UNI soon and will try and work out what they are using and go from there.

Latest posts