Gippsland Region

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

So I went on a recon mission down Gippsland way last Sunday to find some new (to me) creeks to play around in.

Spent a couple of hours walking downstream and test panning in all the likely spots but found nothing in the first creek. Disappointed I decided to call it and went on to the next creek where thankfully I had better luck. Spent two hours test panning there also and got some colour in maybe every second pan (avg) but not every spot I tested had gold.

So just wanting to hear from anyone who more experienced than I am in that part of the world. Any general advice you can give me that's area specific? Plan on heading back this weekend with the sluice so would love to be as prepared as possible.

Also, just wondering what the gold is generally like around the area. I've been getting fines from the places I've been frequenting so far...wouldn't mind getting something chunkier. The gold I found test panning was by no means chunky, but seemed promising compared to what I've been recovering so far.

And lastly, is the gold more patchy in these parts. The places I've been thus far tend to be more eldorado like, with fines everywhere, in every pan. My testing down gippo way would indicate it is indeed patchier, but tbh, I still don't have full confidence in my panning technique so feel like I may have been washing gold out of the pan.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

PotOfGold,

Research, Research, Research! And make sure you dig deep, the gold will always want to go down as far is it can, this is usually bedrock. Also if you think you are losing gold out of your pan then pan into another pan and double check your tailings. Practice is the key here.

scottlucky,

Its fairly scrubby country mate and sometimes you feel like a mountain goat, however you can always try!

Hello scott I have been prospecting in the gippy area for many years and yes the gold is very patchy a lot of the creeks have been dredged and the bulk of the country is very rough but if you don't mind cutting tracks through a mountain of blackberries you could get lucky good luck johnb

Latest posts