Ghost Town Gold nuggets ( Russell's Creek Goldfield Map )

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Hi everyone this is a map of the Tangil area a place that I was told about in a story by an old fella that helped raise me and planted valuable stories in my brain about many things as a child in a town where I grew up before the Thompson Dam was even built called Robertson and remember being told he saw gold nuggets as big as your fist that came from around these goldfields when he was a small child, Although it was an enchanting story at the time I realise how valuable it is to me now that I have the map :lol: and now so do you so good luck to everyone that takes the time to metal detect around there and who knows you might even see old Greencheeks77 up there in the mountain's swinging his TDI ;)

Thanks MB, don't know why the link polled out, I checked it after posting.

thanks for sharing Greencheeks - long, long time ago I had the map printed full size (it's huge!!) however the nugs were from shallow or deep lead workings or if in streams were or under fathoms of overburden, better to leave the 'tector at home if you venture down that way - it's pan and shovel country cobber. In anycase there's no room to swing the 'tector.

http://digital.slv.vic.gov.au/view/...ULE_ID=10&frameId=1&usePid1=true&usePid2=true

casper

Thanks Cobb (Casper)I've never heard of anyone else ever speak of this place that I know of anyway and I welcome all the info I could get on this place b4 I venture out down that way, I believe you are probably saying you cant swing a detector because of the blackberries being to thick or is thick with regrowth of trees and shrubs yes ? And I personally would imagine one should equip themselves with a riffle or something as I do know first hand we have a lot of wild dogs running around in Victoria and some times a lonely prospector not paying attention to his surroundings Will become an easy target if they are hungry enough or they feel threatened as in have their pups near by so always be on guard on might say.. And I always seem to be digging anyway even when I've said I've had enough so shovel and pan it is, though I would imagine there would be mullock piles still left behind from the old timers that could still have a nugget left in them for the metal detector enthusiast or 2 ? And shallow leads that would mean they dug drifts, It makes one wonder how deep would the shallowest lead be to dig b4 one got to the gold is it beyond the limits of our miners right and don't quote me but I thought It was 2meters ? and thanks heaps for the links guys and don't worry redfin if the link is broken its the thought that counts lol
Regards GC ;)

Hey mate, I've been over there twice. Checked out russles which had been turned and friendly warnings like skulls set up :lol: Froze my bullocks off at Tanjil river taking a view of pyrite city and the tramlines within thebroaring river. Obvious signs of old timers crevacing the high bedrock walls

Ill get there again one day as I have plans with a bloke to look around a spot 'near' the thompson I'm sure you'd be familiar with. Where the road meanders with the creek many times

Might come say hello..but I don't like that cold n wet area... I'm too skinny for that :D

greencheeks77 said:
Thanks Cobb (Casper)I've never heard of anyone else ever speak of this place that I know of anyway and I welcome all the info I could get on this place b4 I venture out down that way, I believe you are probably saying you cant swing a detector because of the blackberries being to thick or is thick with regrowth of trees and shrubs yes ? And I personally would imagine one should equip themselves with a riffle or something as I do know first hand we have a lot of wild dogs running around in Victoria and some times a lonely prospector not paying attention to his surroundings Will become an easy target if they are hungry enough or they feel threatened as in have their pups near by so always be on guard on might say.. And I always seem to be digging anyway even when I've said I've had enough so shovel and pan it is, though I would imagine there would be mullock piles still left behind from the old timers that could still have a nugget left in them for the metal detector enthusiast or 2 ? And shallow leads that would mean they dug drifts, It makes one wonder how deep would the shallowest lead be to dig b4 one got to the gold is it beyond the limits of our miners right and don't quote me but I thought It was 2meters ? and thanks heaps for the links guys and don't worry redfin if the link is broken its the thought that counts lol
Regards GC ;)

No skulls and no dogs in Tanjil just lots of deer and leeches. I usually work alone and I have never encountered another prospector working there in all the time I've been going there - oh! correction, one time only and he wouldn't acknowledge that i was there and left straight after i came on the scene). The stripping (overburden) in the river was 4 to 12 feet and the leads 25 to 50 feet. Reefing here was mostly by level adit and winze rather than shaft from the surface and drives. Haven't noticed mullock piles - all the good stuff is beneath Blue Rock Lake now....

casper

AtomRat said:
casper said:
Don't know of a place called reward - sounds tantalising though......

casper
Not a place but something close to our mate russel. I never went there but the name .. if you can't find it pm me and mabey u want to take a peek

@#$&*

I'm confused .......BTW John Russell has been reposing at gods acre in Toongabbie these last 100 odd years?

casper

The old man used to work spotted dog Creek and did quite well before the dam. Have found some shafts up that way with plenty of mullock heaps but can only detect about 5 % of them as its so overgrown. Have a read on trove as they say that there was visible gold found on the surface in some places. Undergrowth mustn't have been so thick in them days.

Latest posts