Ghost Stories & Other Weird Stuff

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bundyjd

John
Reaction score
The idea for this thread came to me after a conversation with another PA member (you know who you are) on the weekend, with a further reminder from the little story Occasional Panner dropped in the Buckland thread.

With a forum the size of this where we all like to go bush in historically significant parts of the country, I'm sure there's no shortage of tales to be told.

Ghost and Ghouls, Yowies and other Weirdness.....

So let's have 'em :)

Something ran through my kitchen tonight, thought it was daughter or number one son, but, on investigation into the laundry only moments later (as I seen daughter in the lounge room) there was nothing or nobody there(and no.1 son was still in the shower), just the hair from me neck to the top o me head standing on end and crawling all over itself ,... felt like something had jumped on my head and was wrestling with me ,.... but there was nothing there ,... talk about the heebie-jeebies (ha). 8) :eek: :/ :eek: :eek:

Tathradj said:
I have a favorite saying,
" Things happen in the bush, Don't talk about them,
as those who have not experienced it, don't understand. "

I'll sure understand. Let's see how it goes ;)

See if any Cairns members know any other stories on this one :eek:
....................The Cairns Hairyman :eek: .......... :p
I grew up in Cairns and spent 10 years there through school.....hmmmm... maybe once apon a time 32 years ago.......... :lol:
There was always a story/legend of a Hairyman that lived in the bush at the top of the House on the hill between Earlville and Baview Hights
The Legend said it was 4 to 5 feet tall ....stands on two feet..... and is lightning fast.....no one has ever gotten a clear look at it........
but some say it resembles a short Hairy man and can run much faster than 60kmh :eek: :rolleyes: ...some say it's brown...some say it's darker :rolleyes:
I've ridden my BMX around there at 3.00am ... :rolleyes: all hours of the night and seen some and heard some weird shite :eek:
Any way when I was 16 think his name was Ceril sorry if it's spelt wrong Ceril :rolleyes: ...he was a local Aboriginal kid and riding his racer through there at 2.30 am odd and
This was his story :rolleyes: ...As he got up the hill to bush he heard .....loud tree breaking noises all the way at the top of the hill so he kept riding......
As he got half way around he heard something fast running through the bush jumping stomping breaking rushing noises coming down fast :eek: so he speed up....getting around further it hit the road and sounded like someone running which was right above him on the hill road....then all of a sudden it came crashing through the bush which is steep cliff bush..down onto the road.... runs across the road.....and smashes Ceril and his bike over the guard rail....which was off another cliff dropoff :eek:
All he could say that what he saw was small and a fast blur .... :eek: :rolleyes: ....The Hairyman strikes again :rolleyes:
Wonder if he still lives up there :eek: .....There was supposed to be a Yowie up in the bush near the water tanks but we couldn't find them :rolleyes:
Don't shoot the messenger :lol: :lol: :p

I was just 18 with my girlfriend and now my wife and a mate and my wifes sister.
We decided to go up to the memorial cross at midnight on the top of Mt Macedon.
It was a still moonlit night perfect for a bit of you know what.
It was all going well until my mate mentioned drop bears. Right at that point the wind whistled and believe it or not an earth tremor occurred and we all shat ourselves.
We started running down the hill back to the car, I fell over in my silly platform shoes (6 inches) tore my bloody new bell bottom LEE jeans and we all got back to the car and bolted.
The mind can play funny tricks or maybe it was a few drop bears waiting to pounce.
I haven't been back since and that was 40 years ago and still remember it with shivers.

GT :)

Tathradj said:
I have a favorite saying,
" Things happen in the bush, Don't talk about them,
as those who have not experienced it, don't understand. "
I know what your alluding to here Dougy!..whoa..I'D LIKE TO HEAR THE FULL STORY ONE DARK NIGHT AROUND THE FIRE!...SHITE!..WHO'S GOT THE SHOTTY. :eek:

Many years ago over thirty actually I pulled into a town in Qld heading to Cape York and thought I have been here before .................... at the same time also the thought in the back of my mind was you couldn't have been as until now had never crossed the Victorian border north bound ever before in my life. With this thought in mind I continued into town and again yes the thought I have been here and I'll bet up around the corner is a milk bar with a red and white sun blind half way down and a fountain out the front. Well I pulled around the corner and what I saw was exactly that and before even seeing it I could have described it as well as if I was describing my own lounge room. To this day I still do not have the answer but physically I had never been in that town before and yet I had seen it and knew it :eek:

B5MECH said:
See if any Cairns members know any other stories on this one :eek:
....................The Cairns Hairyman :eek: .......... :p
I grew up in Cairns and spent 10 years there through school.....hmmmm... maybe once apon a time 32 years ago.......... :lol:
There was always a story/legend of a Hairyman that lived in the bush at the top of the House on the hill between Earlville and Baview Hights
The Legend said it was 4 to 5 feet tall ....stands on two feet..... and is lightning fast.....no one has ever gotten a clear look at it........
but some say it resembles a short Hairy man and can run much faster than 60kmh :eek: :rolleyes: ...some say it's brown...some say it's darker :rolleyes:
I've ridden my BMX around there at 3.00am ... :rolleyes: all hours of the night and seen some and heard some weird shite :eek:
Any way when I was 16 think his name was Ceril sorry if it's spelt wrong Ceril :rolleyes: ...he was a local Aboriginal kid and riding his racer through there at 2.30 am odd and
This was his story :rolleyes: ...As he got up the hill to bush he heard .....loud tree breaking noises all the way at the top of the hill so he kept riding......
As he got half way around he heard something fast running through the bush jumping stomping breaking rushing noises coming down fast :eek: so he speed up....getting around further it hit the road and sounded like someone running which was right above him on the hill road....then all of a sudden it came crashing through the bush which is steep cliff bush..down onto the road.... runs across the road.....and smashes Ceril and his bike over the guard rail....which was off another cliff dropoff :eek:
All he could say that what he saw was small and a fast blur .... :eek: :rolleyes: ....The Hairyman strikes again :rolleyes:
Wonder if he still lives up there :eek: .....There was supposed to be a Yowie up in the bush near the water tanks but we couldn't find them :rolleyes:
Don't shoot the messenger :lol: :lol: :p

There's so much dense jungle up here you never know whats getting around!
The yowie or hairman legend has been floating around for a long time, known by the local aboriginal tribes as a quinkan theyve been sighted all across the north. There are even ancient cave paintings of them in sacred sites.
Add that to haunted queenslanders, repurposed wartime hospitals and even haunted rockpools that seek young male victims not to mention the far norths violent pioneer history make it no less of a ghost story hotspot. :D

I'm a sceptic and an atheist.
Driving to pick up some takeaway Chinese food in about 2004. Light rain about 6 30 at night, not quite dark. A kid on a bike comes off the curb, right in front of me. I stamped on the brake with both feet! My girl friend at the time screamed and put a hand on the JC handle and one out in front. Pulled up, no kid any where to be seen......nothing. GF reckons she didn't see anything, but defiantly saw a kid on a bike, I saw him.
Told a few people who reckon it might have been a ghost.....and that incident might have made me a believer, I could almost be convinced that a person had a soul or spirit, but a bike? Clothes? Must have been a recollection of something that happened or I saw happen on TV or something.
I can't explain it, but it wasn't a ghost.

Years ago my Aunt had a fire in her old stone home.
I got to repaint the interior as I was was a painter at the time.
The passage way was 54 feet long and jarah floorboards. 13 rooms and 2 cellars. Anyway I was cleaning the big old cornices and I was standing on scaffolding to be able to reach the cornices which were 13 foot 6 inches from the ground. I had my back to the longest part of the passsge and I heard some heavy footsteps going up the jarah passageway, I said hello aunty Jeane ( with an "e" ) and heard nothing. I got down off the scaffolding and went through the house calling her. Then I went outside and her car wasn't even there. Turns out she had left about an hour earlier. There was no one else at home.

Wishfull's post reminds me of a similar experience if I can properly put it in to words.

I moved to the city as a young fella residing with two other lads I knew from the country. We lived in house built around the turn of the century, big high ceilings freezing in winter. We all worked different shifts so basically one was sleeping, one at work, one just beginning or not long finishing shift. One morning I woke up thinking my roomie was making a lot of noise in the hall, and it was a couple hours earlier than I was expecting him home from shift. As I was getting up the cupboards were banging which really ticked me off, and I was getting dressed to give him a mouthful.

I closed my door and walked down the hall still the cupboard banging, two steps before getting to the kitchen the noise stops, footsteps to the lounge on the lino over floorboards, and me in hot pursuit. As I entered the kitchen from the left doorway, went right into the main area of the kitchen the TV is turned on with the sound going WAY up As I turn straight to walk around the divider and go left again into the lounge.

As I enter the lounge starting to rant and rave about the noise the TV shuts off. There is no one in the room. As chills run up my spine the toaster pops in the kitchen. I stood frozen and listened as footsteps start back in the hall through the from the second door leading from the lounge to the hall.

The hall that goes past my room then goes around the to left to the front door. The front door and screen open (We always bolt locked it) and half out of my mind with fear and half curious I bolt to the door closing, me opening it and seeing nothing in the front porch or driveway not 1 sec later. Neither of my roommates were home at the time.

My roommates gave me stick about my "story" for a while until over the next few months both they and their guests witnessed equally bizarre goings on. I'm not sure I believe in ghosts as such but certainly weird and bizarre.

Latest posts