Getting this made

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Using the gold Ive found with the gold monster 1000 out near yalgoo Im getting this made.

Going to cost approx $900 total but definitely going to hold very deep meaning for me

Its going to be a dressy ring and its sterling silver

1602486719_d9e90610-91f3-4183-89bb-75641ece5026.jpg

Nice ring,

But $900 for a sterling silver ring that you provided the gold for, Ouch.

Pogo said:
Nice ring,

$900 for a custom made sterling silver ring that is wide & thick enough to allow a machined groove for the gold isn't that bad. Especially when you consider that the gold will need to be matched to the groove size & then each small piece of gold has to be individually soldered into place. Not a quick or easy task.
A basic chunky silver ring can set you back up to $200 or places like Tiffany's with more fancy designs + gold or other materials anywhere up to $2k.
$900 for a personalised, custom ring that there will be no other exact copy of isn't bad IMO.

One tip Alienslayer is to provide as much smooth alluvial type gold as possible. Small reefy bits look nice but are a lot harder to solder due to the porous nature of them. The jeweller I used has been making custom jewellery for decades & said it was definitely a challenge to do mine.
Some bits may need to be flattened a little or trimmed to fit but the look of natural gold is great.
1602543833_20191117_101802.jpg

Thanks for the great ideas guys. :Y:

I took all my finds along to the local jeweler and asked him to do the same for me.
Same thing, six to nine hundred bucks depending on silver or gold, and for him to provide the machined grooved ring and set all my little finds in it. He supplied me with an attached mock-up of what it will look like.

1602554536_ring2.jpg
:lol:

Deepseeker said:

I took all my finds along to the local jeweler and asked him to do the same for me.
Same thing, six to nine hundred bucks depending on silver or gold, and for him to provide the machined grooved ring and set all my little finds in it. He supplied me with an attached mock-up of what it will look like.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/13321/1602554536_ring2.jpg :lol:

:lol: :lol:
That's gold :Y:

mbasko said:
Pogo said:
Nice ring,

$900 for a custom made sterling silver ring that is wide & thick enough to allow a machined groove for the gold isn't that bad. Especially when you consider that the gold will need to be matched to the groove size & then each small piece of gold has to be individually soldered into place. Not a quick or easy task.
A basic chunky silver ring can set you back up to $200 or places like Tiffany's with more fancy designs + gold or other materials anywhere up to $2k.
$900 for a personalised, custom ring that there will be no other exact copy of isn't bad IMO.

One tip Alienslayer is to provide as much smooth alluvial type gold as possible. Small reefy bits look nice but are a lot harder to solder due to the porous nature of them. The jeweller I used has been making custom jewellery for decades & said it was definitely a challenge to do mine.
Some bits may need to be flattened a little or trimmed to fit but the look of natural gold is great.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4485/1602543833_20191117_101802.jpg

Looks awesome Im pretty excited to pick mine up in a couple of weeks

Deepseeker said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/13321/1602554536_ring2.jpg :lol:
you should spruce that up a bit with some 1 and 2 cent pieces.

Looks great. Only problem is that possibly silver cleaner will accumulate in the groove between the bits of gold. As silver always tarnishes it will be necessary to clean it from time to time. You could clean it off with a soft tooth brush or an ultrasonic cleaner, though.

No doubt much of the $900 is in labour costs, as silver is pretty cheap, so it might be worth getting a quote for a platinum version. I think platinum is around $38 per gram, so the material cost of the ring would probably be around $300 for an 8 gram band, plus the labour costs of making the thing.

It might be worth it for a once in a lifetime piece.

What the jewellers are doing,sending the design to Thailand,to have it made by 3D printing.
They doing great!

Deepseeker said:

Nice work, but you forgot the condom packet!!!

Latest posts