Geodes or crystal structures around South Australia ???

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhatGeology

Joshua
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been out a fair bit lately from The Goldfields in Adelaide Panning all the way up to the flinders rangers and all through abandoned mines from all around but am currently now absessed with finding my own Geode/or a great crystalline structure.
Not sure if anybody would like to share any good locations that can point me in the right direction to finding my own Geode or some impressive crystal structures, i understand not many people like sharing your personal places but even an area would be great and i understand how it also feels when people go and destroy a great find you have so even just something cool to go look at over a weekend or anything... i am new to Geology and it is becoming a huge passion of mine it would be great to have any help on finding some Gold, Garnets, Geodes or even a few fossils but i basically have no good knoledge on finding these Minerals so if anybody would like to help me out we can even speak to each other in an email and speak on the phone to keep the post private if you want to but any help would be great for a new geologist such as myself... thankyou

occasionally find that cool Vug of crystal quarts but they never seem to have much structure or crystalls to them like i have seen from a few friends finds... ty

Hi Phat,

I am new to this forum as well, and like you are interested in finding some nice quartz crystal specimens. I have had very small luck at Mount Crawford in the fossicking zone up behind Watts Gully with small single crystals, but nothing much bigger than a 2 - 3cm. I used to work with a bloke who had access to Ashton Quarry a long time ago where one could find spectacular quartz crystal specimens (there are some specimens from that quarry on display in the SA museum). It would be grate to be able to find something like that. I am also interested in fossils and it isn't hard to find fossils along the Murray (there is even a tourist attraction called Shell Hill out near Black Hill between Cambrai and the river that is a large mound of fossilised oyster shell. Many of the road cuttings near the river have fossilised sea urchins and sand dollars. It is pretty cool to spot these - but they are nowhere near the age of, say, a trilobite. That would be very cool to find something like that! Good luck with the fossicking!

Latest posts