Geminids Meteor Shower

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It hammered down here and I thought we'd miss it, but the sky cleared about 30mins after the rain for 360 views. I stood outside for about 10mins looking NE and saw about 5. Went inside and woke up Ange and we sat outside til 2am watching the show. They came from all directions surprisingly, so trying to watch the whole sky at once was tricky. :)

Another one peaks tonight.
This time the Aquarids (bits of Halley's Comet), between 3am and 5am (local time) to the North.
Melbourne has clear skies tonight (& no moon), so it could be great viewing.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...g/news-story/379d4b364119c10b2507627e3d2c41ed
PS: A lady friend told me tonight that she plans on getting up to watch the meteorites. I told her she likely won't see any, but would likely see lots of meteors (maybe ~30-50 per hour).

Well we went for a drive to the back blocks to get away from the station lights. The moon could of done us a favour and not been so bright but we did manage to see a couple of dozen meteors. Was a nice peaceful night. Even had a sleep in this morning. :zzz:

Didn't bother trying to get a time lapse photo.

Cheers

Doug

Oh no not mozzie Bite's.... They sting...

Should of had a camel alarm set up Steve... To wake you up :lol:

Goody :D