G'day to all my fellow sufferers of gold fever!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Jim and currently live near Parramatta NSW but will be moving to Cygnet, Tasmania in the very near future. I'm a Pom and Sydney is too hot for me, even though I spent my first 10 years of life here, 26 years back in old Pomgolia has weakened my tolerance for the warm weather. Cygnet is just about as close to Antarctica as I could find to settle and just happens to be a gold bearing area....or at least was!!

I have had vivid dreams of finding gold since childhood. I begged my dad for a metal detector about 28 years ago and received a Micronta 1001 (or something like that).
After many hours of fruitless searching I found an old silver crown (coin) lying on the surface. My trusty Micronta failed to detect it even though it was in plain sight. That machine was promptly thrown in the first available bin. It's my 40th on Saturday so I decided to celebrate my maturity by finally rewarding myself with another detector.
I was never going to convince the wife that a GPX 5000 was a sound investment (not yet), so a X-terra 705 dual coil seemed a good start.

Had it for a few weeks now, bought it early so I could take it to Turon Gates for the weekend. To my untrained ears, it first seemed that either my detector was mental, on acid, or I was detecting on a giant pile of scrap metal. After an hour or so on the heavily mineralised ground I decided to call it a day, and hoped my ears would stop bleeding some day!!
I had better success with a pan (first time ever), just in front of our cabin, opposite the rickety bridge over the Turon. My best bit was about the size and shape of a sesame seed, which a promptly lost at home. I picked it up with tweezers then ping it was gone, lost somewhere in my home. I contemplated vacuuming and panning the contents......
We are going back to Turon Gates for a week at Christmas, I hope to be more successful this time, even though the owners say that 5-6000 Chinamen worked it clean back in the day!!

I would like to say a HUGE thanks to WAL and Liz for all their Youtube vids, and without which I may have never found this excellent forum.
Live long and prospect!!

Hi Kingjim,

There's gold in Cygnet, though maybe not detectable size. I live 20 minutes away, but it's mostly on private land, so I tend to go elsewhere. Welcome to the forum!

M

mfdes said:
Hi Kingjim,

There's gold in Cygnet, though maybe not detectable size. I live 20 minutes away, but it's mostly on private land, so I tend to go elsewhere. Welcome to the forum!

M
Hi M, we bought 9 acres in Wattle Grove (no gold) then bought tiny new place in Cygnet and can't wait to move down. We should be there within 6 months. It would be great to hook up and go prospecting some time. I joined the Tassie prospecting forum but never got the OK from the administrator so can't post or join in. Maybe he saw my .co.uk email and thought I was a spy!! Cheers, Jim.

Hi Jim,

Not a lot happening in that forum, unfortunately. I tend to go prospecting up northeast, for sapphires and gold, and also occasionally to Adamsfield, which also has sapphires, as well as osmiridium and gold. Unfortunately work is usually crazy busy during summer, which is the best time to go prospecting! Not that I can complain, I'm going up to Flinders Island for work, and Killiecrankie Bay is high on my list.

Also, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Wattle Grove, the right geology extends as far north as Glaziers Bay on that side of the river...

Miguel.

Hi jim welcome to the forum from another fellow tasmanian living in the west coast town called queenstown. This forum is fantastic and helped me find my first nugget in wedderburn last July was an awesome thrill, especially for me a fellow pommy, from the Isle of Wight. Cygnet is a lovely spot you'll really enjoy the folks down there, check out the falls near snug there beautiful, there's meant to be gold there so good luck.

Welcome to the forum Jim. Can i just say that's a great intro you have written there. Pity that piece of gold that "pinged" from the tweezers wasn't a couple of gram nugget. I'm sure the 705 would have come to the rescue.

Tassie is a great destination and place to live, and a paradise for the serious prospector. Best of luck with the hobby and I'm sure you will find it rewarding in many ways.

Cheers Wal.

Hi Wal, thanks for the warm welcome. I was trawling youtube looking for Huon River prospecting when I found Liz' vid on Lune River fossicking. After subscribing and many hours of ''couch prospecting'' I was fully infected by the gold/prospecting bug...THANKYOU!!
I am hoping that the Turon will be kind to me over Xmas, 7 days to test out my acquired internet based knowledge and hopefully the X-terra 705 will reveal something nice.
Merry Christmas to you and Liz.
Jim
WalnLiz said:
Welcome to the forum Jim. Can i just say that's a great intro you have written there. Pity that piece of gold that "pinged" from the tweezers wasn't a couple of gram nugget. I'm sure the 705 would have come to the rescue.

Tassie is a great destination and place to live, and a paradise for the serious prospector. Best of luck with the hobby and I'm sure you will find it rewarding in many ways.

Cheers Wal.

Hi Smithers, Thanks for the welcome. Never got to the west coast on our sightseeing trips but once we move down I'm sure i'll be a regular visitor.
My wife is from Hampshire too, up near Petersfield/Liss. We haven't checked out Snug falls yet, waiting for a heavy downpour to fill up the falls.
Cheers,
Jim
Smithers said:
Hi jim welcome to the forum from another fellow tasmanian living in the west coast town called queenstown. This forum is fantastic and helped me find my first nugget in wedderburn last July was an awesome thrill, especially for me a fellow pommy, from the Isle of Wight. Cygnet is a lovely spot you'll really enjoy the folks down there, check out the falls near snug there beautiful, there's meant to be gold there so good luck.

Hi Jim.
Welcome to PA.
You are moving to a lovely part of the country.
There is a great foodie culture around Cygnet which appeals to me :D
If you are a foodie you should see the tv show 'Gourmet Farmer'

Best of luck with your move and prospecting adventures.

Cheers

Ramjet

Thanks Jim...The Turon always seems to give up some good gold for those who venture into the river itself. The weather will be quite hot so grab a pair of shorts and work within the stream itself. Have a great Xmas and look forward to hearing about the trip,

Cheers Wal.

Hi Ramjet,
Love watching the Gourmet Farmer, the landscape and the places he goes feel like home. His farm is not far from our land in Wattle Grove. Sadly we moved house a few months back, only a couple of km but now can't receive SBS tv, may have to buy the dvd's in the sales!
Ramjet said:
Hi Jim.
Thanks for the welcome
Jim

Welcome to PA.

Cheers

Ramjet

Thanks for the welcome......somehow got mixed up in you text.....
Cheers
Jim
kingjim said:
Hi Ramjet,
Love watching the Gourmet Farmer, the landscape and the places he goes feel like home. His farm is not far from our land in Wattle Grove. Sadly we moved house a few months back, only a couple of km but now can't receive SBS tv, may have to buy the dvd's in the sales!
Ramjet said:
Hi Jim.
Thanks for the welcome
Jim

Welcome to PA.

Cheers

Ramjet

Latest posts