G'day from NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Decided to dust off a old spun pan that has been sitting unused for 30years in the shed and have been reading the forum for the past few weeks.
Might give it a run this weekend if the weather co-operates.

Cold & wet at the farm today didn't feel like entering the icy water between showers so moved a few rocks from behind a larger rock on the edge of the creek and brought home half a bucket of gravel.
Might have to buy myself a new pan, the one that has been sitting in the shed has a bit more than surface rust with pitting all over. Still I ran what I carted home through it and managed to get down to dark sands. Lots of what I think is pyrite, most of it floated out of the pan but a few bigger chunks left at the end. They are the first thing to move when I swirl a bit of water across the dark sand. One tiny spec I think is gold, I can work most of the darker sands away from it with it staying planted firmly on the bottom of the pan.

Don't know if I should be happy or disappointed, one speck isn't much but then I only ran one pan of material that wasn't likely to contain much if any gold.

Upside said:
"Cold and wet at the farm today".

Must be a long long way from my NSW !

Just need to live at the best bits
No chance I'll drive the 30kms to the farm today talking to mum a few hours ago and was still snowing.

Welcome 220,

You should find some good threads on here for you to read.

Always good to get out and prospect, being in the fresh air etc.

Thanks for the welcomes.

Finding time will be my biggest hurdle although it shouldn't be to difficult to cart a pan along when Im carry a rifle or fishing rod. Access isn't really a issue I'm sitting typing this at work less than 50m from a creek that produces 25 tonnes in it heyday.
Splurged and order a Garrett deluxe panning kit earlier in the week, with a bit of luck it should arrive Friday and I can give it a run.

Welcome 220.

1535114788_welcome14.jpg

I'm in Adelong Philthy, with our up coming by-election the government has thrown a bit of money at us, 25k for tourism promotion and some more for interactive signage around the falls walks. One of the thing that kicked me into dusting off the old pan and have a go again.

Probably a good place to ask what info people are looking for on areas they are thinking about prospecting. Progress association is trying to decide how to spend the dollars.

One thing I like about Black Springs it has a free camp area in a very visible location with very basic amenities.

I think the high visibility and open nature of the area makes it a safe option for new people to visit the area.

The show ground it Adelong is a free RV camp site but I haven't actually looked at if it is available as a tent camp site. :Y:

Tried cleaning out a crevice today, I really need to make something to suck out the bottom as it is below water level. Got out what I could with a few tools I've made and was rewarded with 24 specks for one pan. Calling them specks is probably being generous but at least I know my panning technique is good.

Latest posts