G'day Everyone

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day Guys,

I'm new to the forum and Prospecting!! I'm Glenn, and I have a Wife and 3 Kids (2, 4 & 6) living in Gippsland.
I'm into Photography, Caravan adventures with the family and enjoy getting out and about in the 4WD.

Having grown up with a bit of prospecting with my Uncles, I thought it was time to step in and have some fun - so stretched the budget to a GPX 5000. (no expectation of ever recouping the cost :) )

I've managed to get the detector together, and have recently conducted the intro course with Bendigo Gold, which was a bit of fun. My 6 Year old had a great time listening, and managed to hang in there for most of the three hours.

With the majority of my extended family living in Ballarat, I'm across there a bit, and looking forward to some more prospecting. I spent a couple of days around Ballarat after the course and went out to Dunolly and Creswick, but all we managed to find was a lot of Shotgun buck shot, bullets, ting pieces of rust, old nails etc etc.. I was certainly impressed at how small of a piece of lead shot could be found at a few inches. The kids loved the search, although not entirely happy with the current cold, miserable weather that was around. Me - I loved it :)

I'm looking forward to learning what I can along the way, and importantly having some fun out and about. If anyone has great tips along the way, I'm always willing to accept. I have a lot to learn about not only using the GPX 5000, settings, coils, etc, but probably just as important, where to swing the thing with some chance of success and where I'm just wasting the battery..

Anyhow, I look forward to meeting people out and about :)

Cheers,

Glenn

G'day Glenn,

Welcome aboard! You're definitely in the right place for gold and being on here you'll always get great prospecting info.

That first nugget won't escape the 5000 if you swing over it. I look forward to hearing about your finds. It really gets the excitement up when you see that piece of gold in your hand :D

All the best,
Shauno.

Welcome to the forum Glenn.
If your finding shot gun pellets your using the machine right, gold often sounds just like them. Stick with your 11" mono for starters, it's a great allround coil. It's best to master it on factory preset settings before playing with other coils/settings.
Goodluck on the hunt.

DD

Thanks Guys - Planning the next outing already.

Exciting swinging over the old digging areas - hopefully will surprise myself at some stage. Involved the kids with the process of finding the object once I had found something. They are very excited (so far) but it does take that little bit longer :)

Having fun reading through all the old posts, trying to find the answers to what areas of the diggings I should be swinging over, where the nuggets are most likely to be found and whether diggings, old mines, mullock heaps etc are the most likely places...

Thanks again for the kind welcome :)

Glenn

Welcome to the forum Glen, Great choice in nugget hunting machinery mate. The general rule is the first nugget is always the hardest to find.

Once the monkey's off the back the rest of the nuggets seem to get sucked onto the 5000 like a magnet...not...but they are a lot more frequent as your experience increases. Reading the lay of the land is the next important task to master. Hope the forum helps fill in some of the missing links in the puzzle we call prospecting....best of luck,

Cheers Wal.

Latest posts