Gday all

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodstar

Rod Jones
Reaction score
Hello everyone my name is Rod and i work as an accountant up in North QLD. I bought a GP 3500 a month ago and am still mucking around with the settings, but enjoying it :) ive also got some pans but thats about it.
i have been reading your forums and you appear a very friendly bunch with an abundance knowledge and ideas. i loved the all the gear you make your self, i used to be a boiler maker, and im super keen to start making my own gear. ideas are flowing through my head every day! I just dont have enough time to do everything!!

I am still researching places to go up here, im a bit croc wary as ive only been up here for three years.....
i have managed to get out a few times detecting in the bush, my girlfriend and me really enjoy getting out into nature and exploring, the sights and experiences are breath taking. anyway i havnt found any gold which is ok cause we are only new at it. we get really excited just digging junk up lol. our first experience we panned and detected and i found 10 cents under a tree root about 150mm down, it had been there a long time as the surface coating had virtually come away. we call it "the coin of hope". lol !!

So my plan is to travel to the many ghosts towns around up here and start out looking for relics and to expore our beautiful country side. we are also researching QLD and were to go to look for gold and gems and have a trip planned over xmas time to travel around QLD exploring, detecting, panning and camping. Lifes good :)

G'day Rod,

You are not far from Charters Towers.

Lived in Townsville for 12 years and loved it.

Good luck and hope to see some photos of some nice finds.

Gday Richard, yeah never been to charters lol, we are starting out in Ravenswood first thought i would check it out and explore the area a bit. we will be camping there in 2 weeks specifically to locate three old towns that are now dust....
hopefully one day i will show you some pics, gotta find some gold first :)

Rod

Welcome to Prospecting Australia Rod, I hope you find the information here useful.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions or jump on in current discussions.

Nugget.

Thanks Nugget!
Got plenty of questions, but have had enough of work and am going home for a vino!
I will do a bit of a search on topics and any questions i have i will certainly ask.

Rod

Rodstar - the 3500 is a beaut detector. My mate has one and swears by it. He constantly runs a 14" DD and does very well. I have seen some amazingly small gold with this machine and coil. (and some big stuff too). In my observation, I used it a couple of times and ran a mono. This is just my observation but it drove me insane with noise on mineralised ground with the mono - the DD works a treat in the golden triangle.

thank you for the welcome :)
I look forward to reading your forum and contribute where I can.
Rod

Latest posts