Garrett vs Minelab under the same conditions - stock standard

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't see him use the 'tune' function on the minelab, I'm quite sure they did with the Garrett.
Pretty sure everybody knows minelab machines don't like emi..

All I saw in this video was 2 blokes attempting to poke holes in minelabs reputation.. as if its going to help garretts sorry sales figures on the ATX.. according to kellyco detectors its hard to move.. even used..

I had the opportunity to look at the ATX at the NQ gold panning championships. One thing that did impress me about the ATX was its ability to operate near powerlines and houses, it purred like a kitten at this location. I didn't see it run with the mono coil attached, but i was offered to.

The big question is> Is the GPX 5000 with DD coil in cancel mode more sensitive then the ATX with DD coil in high mineralized soil and High EMI areas?

Roscoe said:
I had the opportunity to look at the ATX at the NQ gold panning championships. One thing that did impress me about the ATX was its ability to operate near powerlines and houses, it purred like a kitten at this location. I didn't see it run with the mono coil attached, but i was offered to.

The big question is> Is the GPX 5000 with DD coil in cancel mode more sensitive then the ATX with DD coil in high mineralized soil and High EMI areas?

Excellent question..

LazyTrommel said:
Zuke_Lynzy said:
Exciting for ATX owners but not if you own any of the TDI models.

I do :( 2 of them!.. I'm DOOMED!

That's one thing I don't miss with the minelab machines' even the GPX 5000 iv been baby sitting pops and farts even thinking about EMI as one of my favorite spots has a radio tower close by but I must admit I still think the ATX would run quiet enough there but not as quiet as the TDI pro at full gain.
I still think about the ATX.

What i find interesting is that, i can run the Minelab F1A4 under high voltage lines, and it gets just a little wobble nothing to worry about really..
the my dads 4000 in the same area goes off its arse if you come within 50 meters of those same lines, 'tune' helps a little.. but not much..

Why wouldn't they shield the GP-GPX machines the way they did the F1? I mean i know its a Mil Spec machine built for warzones, and interference could mean the difference between finding a mine and blowing your legs off.. but for $6595 I'd say it SHOULD be expected.

LazyTrommel said:
Didn't see him use the 'tune' function on the minelab, I'm quite sure they did with the Garrett.

All I saw in this video was 2 blokes attempting to poke holes in minelabs reputation.. as if its going to help garretts sorry sales figures on the ATX.. according to kellyco detectors its hard to move.. even used..

Both were tuned before hand LT . ;) . I've talked to cam at the patch he's a minelaber to the bone . but should of used the 5000 in the video ...

stalker said:
LazyTrommel said:

Both were tuned before hand LT . ;) . I've talked to cam at the patch he's a minelaber to the bone . but should of used the 5000 in the video ...

Good to know..

I keep getting crap from the old man, harping on about how great his ATX is... I swear he's one minelab zing away from that detector going up his nose..

I've viewed comparisons of the 5000 v ATX and the SDC2300 v ATX amongst others. I'm yet to see any that level the playing field.

Comparing a DD on one m/c to a mono on another = crap

Comparing unknown settings from one to another = crap

Having the comparison performed by or sponsored by the manufacturer of one of the test m/c = crap

(BTW I have a 5000 and am not affiliated with either)

If I had both machines, in the same location, configured as near as possible in settings as each other and using the same type and as close to the same size coil, I might be able to get an idea. But they are different machines and undoubtedly have their own strengths and weaknesses. It's a bit like comparing an apple to an orange, both fruit, both spherical, but different to the taste.

The biggest single thing that puts me off, is when all of these so call tests are publicised, is that the settings and configurations are not published along with the so called results !!!!

Moral (or simple Math) CRAP IN = CRAP OUT

I can see where your old man is coming from. The atx is just awesome as a all round detector .
LT I have used mine under power lines without a emi scan and it's a tad noisy but knock sensitivity down to 8 and it's deadly quite. But if I do a scan I can run sensitive to max depending on the ground tho

stalker said:
I can see where your old man is coming from. The atx is just awesome as a all round detector .
LT I have used mine under power lines without a emi scan and it's a tad noisy but knock sensitivity down to 8 and it's deadly quite. But if I do a scan I can run sensitive to max depending on the ground tho

Nice circuit shielding... M/L TAKE NOTE!

I know the SDC2300 was 'kind of' a counter to the ATX, but honestly, i feel like Minelab need something... bigger? .. better..
Like lets say, GPX 6000, something digital/shiny/PI/and powerful..

FWIW my 5000 with a 11" DD in cancel will detect 0.1g inside my house...

Videos not comparing like for like don't do anyone any favours.

The thing I find funny is the SDC gets released and nearly instantly the internet is full of photos "Look at all these nuggets I found with my SDC", the ATX is just the odd one here or there - and frequently from those trying to promote sales!

Even Whites cheapy SPP seems to be producing the goods...

I have stated this on other posts on this forum. I have rarely ever been able to use fine gold timing on my gpx 5000 in the cooktown/palmer river area. Every time i go to use fine gold timing i have to operate on a gain of 2 to stabilize it. I have tried manual tuning, motion filter, stabilizer settings, small mono coils etc. I always find that i have to drop down to Sensitive smooth to get this machine stable in this area and i have detected with others who have to do the same.

A perfect example of this was on Wednesday using the SDC 2300 in the same area. The SDC is a great improvement by Minelab in EMI immunity. This machine mopped up small gold that the GPX missed because it could run well in this area, had good sensitivity levels in a fine gold timing.

If you have a detector that is very Immune to EMI, then target those areas were the others have trouble stabilizing. It might not be large gold , but there could be a fare few sub grammers in the area that the others miss. :)

Ben78, I will have to give the 5000 a go with the dd in cancel mode. I have read that you can use the smooth class of timings in this mode as well.

Ben78 said:
FWIW my 5000 with a 11" DD in cancel will detect 0.1g inside my house...

Videos not comparing like for like don't do anyone any favours.

The thing I find funny is the SDC gets released and nearly instantly the internet is full of photos "Look at all these nuggets I found with my SDC", the ATX is just the odd one here or there - and frequently from those trying to promote sales!

Even Whites cheapy SPP seems to be producing the goods...

When the atx was released there was no 8" coil just the dd then the deep seeker finally arrived but still had to wait for the 8"
But who knows if the atx was released with the 8" first up It might be a different story .

Well here's a fact, I see at least 30 videos on youtube of the SDC finding gold, more over blogs and forum posts by the hundreds of yet more finds..
Don't even see one quarter that number of finds with the ATX, well kept secret?..

Latest posts