Gp 3500... Should I get it?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warey87

Nick Wareham
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone is selling a Gp3500 for $500. .. I've been using the minelab equinox and Garrett AT Gold, so it would probably be a nice upgrade but not sure I need another detector.. Should I do it? Someone sell me on it..
Cheers 🤙

Yeah nothing wrong with it apparently. Picked it up off a mate a few years ago and hasn't had time to use it. Bloke seems honest. I would think, maybe a new battery.

(Typed Tuesday and left sitting not posted like half my messenger efforts. :)
There have been a couple of GPX 4000s that have been listed recently, for much less than $2000, aren't selling and there have been a few SD2200v2 for well under $1000 as well. One 4000 was dropped to $1400. Seems to be a huge range in listing prices particularly these much older models and the sell price is often lower. That said this is a very good price.
If you can give it a quick air test over a bit of gold or gold jewellery away from power lines I would grab it. Less likely a model that old is worth faking but who knows.
(Not sure where the serial number label on that model is. If it has been removed, it could have a history of changing possession with out the previous owners consent? Could wear off as well.)
Good luck.

Most likely this will be a genuine buy. The prices on the second hand market have taken a hit since the release of the GPX6000. There have been a lot of really well priced GPX's and this will naturally push the price of the less capable machines down.
$1400 for a gpx4000, that is a great price to enter the PI market.

Also, it won't be a fake, there were no fake GP series made, only fake GPX4500's and GPX5000's.

In terms of repair if needed, the most common fault on the GP costs about $140 to repair and put in a preventative measure so it doesn't happen again.

Cheers Mick

Someone is selling a Gp3500 for $500. .. I've been using the minelab equinox and Garrett AT Gold, so it would probably be a nice upgrade but not sure I need another detector.. Should I do it? Someone sell me on it..
Cheers 🤙
Let me know if you are going to give it a miss. I’m happy to pay 500 , even if it’s just for spares.

Would agree with Mick .. wouldnt be any fake GP or SD units about .. only started from the GPX models ..
and since 6000 hit the market other detector prices have taken a hit

Latest posts